One Owner, 4 Small Businesses

Be aware in WA, if that employee leaves and isn't offered cobra, and the state pays for any care... the state comes back after the employer to inquire why? and without good documentation, sticks the employer with the bill for care. This has happened to some of my groups 5-6 years after employment ended.

That's what I mean by a conversation. You have to make sure they have a plan (a documented plan) to carry out these type of requirements. Good luck with this could be a decent deal for you.

One option you might want to consider is a health reimbursement arrangement, or HRA.

HRAs allow the employer to set aside a fixed allowance every month toward each employee's reimbursement of eligible medical expenses and/or insurance premiums. In this situation the employer would drop the group plan. Each employee enrolls him- or herself in an individual (or family) plan that best fits their needs (and solves the multiple states problem).

There are other advantages to HRAs as well:
(1) The employer can create different classes of employees (i.e. different states, or companies) and define a different allowance to each class, all within the same plan.
(2) The employer decides how much to allow each employee every month, meaning fully controllable and predictable costs.
(3) The employees not only get to choose a plan that's best for them, but they become more aware of their health insurance options and benefits.
(4) Employers can change plan benefits at any time or cancel the entire plan at any time.

Back