Online Apps

I don't care which company you call - Geico, Progressive, etc...If you convey to them that you want to go ahead and sign up none of them will mail or fax you a blank app. All of them will sign you up online.

If you contact Carefirst Blue Cross's in-house sales department and say you want health insurance they'll sign you up right then and there. Not a shot in hell they're gonna send you a blank app.

I can say this much - you'd better be working a LOT of leads if you're just sending clients applications and waiting for them to fax it back.

I think that one has to view the Agent/Broker relationship with clients differently then one views the Carrier-Client relationship. The whole idea of a person having a Agent/Broker is basically based on service, if they don't desire the service end then they can call up Gieco or simply go online to AIG and fill out their application on their own.

A lot of my clients have never filled out a health insurance application in their life. To get a blank one looks very daunting for the client. Heck, applications are daunting for agents - just imagine being a client.

I have to train new agents for days on how to fill out apps. How's a client supposed to do it correctly?

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy said:
Getting car insurance is a LITTLE bit different than getting health insurance.

Next time you go to the doctor, tell the practice manager to fill out the form for you. Tell her the same thing you told me, that the auto insurance guy filled out your paperwork, and you don't think any less of him. See if she'll do it..

I worked at a pharmacy for 10 years and would regularly help patients fill out paperwork....does that count?

Or better yet, when you are holiday shopping, have the cashier fill out your check for you. Just whip it out, and hand her the pen!.

Yeah! When I worked at Walgreens we had a system that would even fill your checks out for you! People used it like crazy!

If my handwriting is on the application, and there is a claim that is not paid, or any miscommunication, you better bet that the applicant/client is not going to say, "Oh, it's my fault." They are more likely to say, "That's the agents' handwriting, not mine."

Hope your E&O is up to date.

Oh brother! Your handwriting can't be on the application? Don't you sign the application too? Ok, I understand your a little concerned about an E&O claim, but if that's how you're gonna treat your business then you better be working a hell of a lot lof leads! I'd rather be working smart than hard!

Told you I was in the minority.

LTCi is different than Health, as well. I look at it as a way to make it easier on the client. If someone does not have their Physician's info right then and there, this gives them the time to find it, without someone sitting there, waiting for it.

As for filling out paperwork at the doctors office, I'm sure if someone is old, frail, or infirmed, then, yes the paperwork would be filled out by the practice manager. It's funny, my mom and dad took me to the doctor for 18 yrs, and they had to fill out the paperwork.

When someone fills out an app on line they get a confirmation code immediately. Proof that it has been submitted. I also get a copy, so I know when they have filled it out.

Gee, BC wanting to take an app over the phone, rather than having a rep come by and see you! What a shock!

I guess I'll contact my old GA at Berkshire (member of MDRT for 18 yrs) and tell him the advice he gave me when I got into the business was wrong, and that having someone complete their own application for coverage is wrong.

I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!

I WILL FILL OUT THEIR APPLICATIONS FOR THEM

I WILL FIND THEIR PHYSICIANS' ADDRESSES AND PHONE NUMBERS FOR THEM

TO SAVE THEM POSTAGE, I WILL DRIVE HOWEVER LONG IT TAKES TO PICK UP THEIR APPLICATION, SO THEY DON'T HAVE TO WALK TO THE POST OFFICE TO MAIL THE LETTER, AND STRAIN THEIR FINGERS APPLYING THE STICKY STAMP (it only takes 3 hrs to get from Atlanta to Augusta)

NO MORE MAKING THEM DO ANYTHING FOR THEMSELVES. I WILL DO EVERYTHING FOR THEM. THEY WILL RESPECT ME MORE FOR IT

Gosh, I wanna thank you guys for changing my paradigm.

Mojo -

Some carriers "prohibit" the agent from completing the app. KP is one of them, Blue is another. This extends to the online version as well. Even though you can do the online apps for both carriers completely online for your client, the carrier has issued express warnings against this.

Other carriers such as Aetna, Time & Golden Rule (UHC) allow the agent to start the app online and then turn it over to the applicant (via email) for final review, signatures & submission.

Most of my apps are done over the phone, via fax & email. When the rules are bent I always have a paper app in the clients handwriting and signed as a back up.

I must admit that Bob is right about agents filling out the app themselves from an E&O standpoint. Far too many agents who really need that commission will omit medical info and the clients, not knowing any better, just sign the app.

This, however, is agent specific. I fill out the apps because I want to make sure EVERY medical condition is on the app.

I fax all my apps, they sign it and fax it back. I am indeed thinking about also having them sign a short document stating that they have reviewed the application and all pre-existing conditions are noted on the application along with the definition of what pre-existing means.

Saying that, it'll be "he said she said" even if the client filled out the app. Imagine an unethical client saying:

"Yeah, I was about to put down that I had a back condition but my agent told me that information shouldn't go on the application since I haven't been formally treated for it yet."

Actually, you can bet agents do that - ya think? Just tell their clients before the client fills out the app "you don't have to put down anything about your migranes. That'll just hold up underwriting."

You could still end up in court.

Told you I was in the minority.

I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!

I WILL FILL OUT THEIR APPLICATIONS FOR THEM

I WILL FIND THEIR PHYSICIANS' ADDRESSES AND PHONE NUMBERS FOR THEM

TO SAVE THEM POSTAGE, I WILL DRIVE HOWEVER LONG IT TAKES TO PICK UP THEIR APPLICATION, SO THEY DON'T HAVE TO WALK TO THE POST OFFICE TO MAIL THE LETTER, AND STRAIN THEIR FINGERS APPLYING THE STICKY STAMP (it only takes 3 hrs to get from Atlanta to Augusta)

NO MORE MAKING THEM DO ANYTHING FOR THEMSELVES. I WILL DO EVERYTHING FOR THEM. THEY WILL RESPECT ME MORE FOR IT

Gosh, I wanna thank you guys for changing my paradigm.

SWEET!

More power to you, I doubt anyone expects you or anyone to change up something that is working for.

If my handwriting is on the application, and there is a claim that is not paid, or any miscommunication, you better bet that the applicant/client is not going to say, "Oh, it's my fault." They are more likely to say, "That's the agents' handwriting, not mine."

Hope your E&O is up to date.

The problem I had was that you tried to state that your way was the only way of doing it! Now I suspect this above statement is a paradigm that doesn't exist. Their signing the application is all that is needed to state that all the above is true to the best of their knowledge. Unless you know of actuall cases that this paradigm you suggest is real then don't use the suggestion of legality. The best thing anyone can do is to get into the practice of writing proper Agents Notes found in most applications, if not add the notes seperately.

I think one thing new agents will like about being independent is you can create your own system. If it works it works. No need to fix something that's not broke.

Back