Opinion on GMAC Insurance

great for those with excellent credit here in NC

GMAC is good for people with excellent circumstances (good credit, multi vehicles, clean record, etc.) and for people with horrible circumstances (DUI, tickets, bad credit, etc.) from what I hear. I don't have any clients like that to vouch for but it's what seems to be known in my area. They aren't bad for my other clients but I have enough other people to offer them though.

In my area, they are competitive with non-standard, not at all with standard markets. I've heard they have excellent claims service though.

they sound like a mortgage company. they should change there name is G Insurance.

I have had GMAC Insurance for 8 years and have always praised them...until now. After spending 22 days and counting with a damaged RV stranded in El Paso, Texas, I am no longer a fan. Eleven nights of those [22] have been in a Motel 6 and only on Monday are they going to evaluate the independent claims adjuster's appraisal (in hand since December 3d). And this in on an open claim originating in Yuma, Arizona in March 2011. Sadly, this is no joke. Thanksgiving was spent in a Camping World parking lot and at the rate they're going, Christmas will be at Motel 6.

like RBA, I am also insured with GMAC.
as a customer, I am happy with them.
as an agent, I like them because they are competitive here in ohio. but I do have a few beefs with them:
1. they're dragging their heels about getting me activated to sell in my non-res states. I was told "let's wait until January, when we have the new computer system in place".
2. they have an outdated billing system in ohio and 4 other states that causes customers to freak out when their 6 month renewal is up. they bill everyone a month early and it's been a pain in the arse for me. customers who pay on time give me a worried call thinking they are late on their payment. this is supposedly going to be fixed next month.
3. in ohio, all that's available is auto & rv. we've been promised homeowners,motorcycle and commercial auto is coming next month as well. that can't happen soon enough for me.

for every problem, I hear "January" "January" "January" .... I hope so!

Last edited:
They honestly are not horrible in Ca, especially for middle aged individuals with one or two accidents. Ut they are great they only do direct here in Ut however we were able to get them... We are the only agency in the state that I am aware of...

They honestly are not horrible in Ca, especially for middle aged individuals with one or two accidents. Ut they are great they only do direct here in Ut however we were able to get them... We are the only agency in the state that I am aware of...

I find it hard to believe you are the only agent writing GMAC in your state

He might be right. or at least be close to being right.

gmac has a "find an agent" page. enter a Utah zip code and you get the following message: "In UT, GMAC Insurance is available directly from the company rather than through independent agencies."

Looks like the only way for an agent to get into Utah is to be grandfathered in from a neighboring state.

scottyj,
my guess is there are other agencies that have appts. in Utah, but probably very few. either way, you might have quite an advantage and a strong selling point there.

Last edited:
He might be right. or at least be close to being right.

gmac has a "find an agent" page. enter a Utah zip code and you get the following message: "In UT, GMAC Insurance is available directly from the company rather than through independent agencies."

Looks like the only way for an agent to get into Utah is to be grandfathered in from a neighboring state.

scottyj,
my guess is there are other agencies that have appts. in Utah, but probably very few. either way, you might have quite an advantage and a strong selling point there.

Thanks BlockO, To have the final answer according to our marketing rep Greg, we are the only agency with GMAC in the state of UT now I cannot speak for neighboring states with appointments but there arent any domiciled Utah agencies that have one, but then agian we are not domiciled here either, but it has helped us quite a bit... The reason we have them is our office here in Utah is run by me a UT resident agent but literally everything that happens in my office runs remotely through Our Main Office In Sacramento, so all our Utah agency codes are child codes under our Cali parent agency codes...;)

Last edited:
Back