Out to lunch? Where you eat can actually lead to new business

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
[EXTERNAL LINK] - Out to lunch? Where you eat can actually lead to new business | BenefitsPRO

Become a regular. Arrive at the same time after work. Sit at the bar and watch the game on TV. Make conversation about the game with the people sitting around you. You should quickly get accepted as part of the group. They will draw you out, asking “What do you do?” You will get to know everyone. Like the luncheonette venue, when people think they have a need, they will start to ask questions. You will get to know them and can draw them out too, but you must be tactful.

There are reasons why insurance and financial service professionals eat lunch at their desks or go out to lunch together. They are missing a business opportunity. Don’t make the same mistake.

So spend, what, $25 a day after work? Say 4 days a week? Spend an hour? Let's say your time is valued ad $25/hr, plus $25 on food and drinks. So, $50 x4 days a week x 50 weeks a year. $10,000 a year and time you could actually be spending doing real work or with your family eating a healthy home cooked meal. But instead you are spending all that time and money, and eating less than healthy food in the hopes that you might get a lead. That's a mighty expensive way to go about it.

So spend, what, $25 a day after work? Say 4 days a week? Spend an hour? Let's say your time is valued ad $25/hr, plus $25 on food and drinks. So, $50 x4 days a week x 50 weeks a year. $10,000 a year and time you could actually be spending doing real work or with your family eating a healthy home cooked meal. But instead you are spending all that time and money, and eating less than healthy food in the hopes that you might get a lead. That's a mighty expensive way to go about it.
The OP said LUNCH and last I heard prospecting is real work.

I like going out to lunch. Most of the time I just hope no one talks to me.

I am a chatty old guy. So if someone wants to say hi or something, cool. However, that's about it. I don't want to run into clients, if a conversation turns to 'what do you do' and they are interested in information I get their number and text them later.

But yeah, I have gained clients in a lot of unusual ways. One long term client was a 411 information operator. I have insured 4 or 5 generations in her extended family and have not met a single one in person.

Last edited:
Tell me you are a boomer without having to tell me.

Like a wise mentor of mine always said "get up, get down. 411 is a joke in yo town" or something like that. That mentor was a time management guru & even carried a clock on his necklace to make sure he was always on time

:twitchy:
I about blew Ensure out of my nose.
Yeah, I am that old.
The struggle was real.

I can tell you that it works. Its not going to fill up your pipeline. But if you eat lunch at the same place on a regular basis, especially if its a lunch counter or bar, you will likely get some business out of it eventually. Thats if you are a likeable person and not a complete asshole. People find out what you do, they like you, and eventually they bring up a need or question.

---

These days I just eat lunch at my desk most days. Or with the fam since thats still an option.

Back