Out to lunch? Where you eat can actually lead to new business

Long, Long time ago I used to eat lunch sometimes at a small Chinese restaurant. The owner was a practical sort. If there were no empty tables he would just seat you with someone else at a table where there was an empty chair. Interesting conversations could sometimes result. No idea if someone could have developed business leads from eating with a variety of people there. It was in the main downtown office and financial area.

(Just to clear up any misconceptions, I am not an insurance agent and I have never obtained any income as a result of any lunchtime discussions. I have almost been punched out once for lunchtime line cutting. :laugh:)

Out to lunch? Where you eat can actually lead to new business

The Business Lunch May Be Going Out of Business

I have not read either of these articles. I am not going to register to read the first one and I am not going to subscribe to read the New York Times one.

However, news headlines seem to suggest there may be opposing points of view on this issue.

I suspect there is a sales book somewhere that includes a "sales success behavioral tip set" that goes something like:

Be Visible
Be Approachable
Let people know what you do

My suspicion would be that a writer just created a specific instance of a general concept in order to write and sell an article in order to meet his own sales goals for the week.

My new favorite Pho restaurant is a couple of doors down from the hand carwash. I was thinking of this thread as I walked in. I have written a lot of South East Asians so pretty likely I may run into a client or two. As I sit here with my hat pulled down low. Although these people as a whole are awesome clients.

I pick the far corner table.

So spend, what, $25 a day after work? Say 4 days a week? Spend an hour? Let's say your time is valued ad $25/hr, plus $25 on food and drinks. So, $50 x4 days a week x 50 weeks a year. $10,000 a year and time you could actually be spending doing real work or with your family eating a healthy home cooked meal. But instead you are spending all that time and money, and eating less than healthy food in the hopes that you might get a lead. That's a mighty expensive way to go about it.
I think you may have missed the point or analyzed too much. It is not necessary that you eat a full meal every time you frequent the place. Nurse a drink, or two, for 45 mins. It doesn't have to occur at lunchtime, if you feel it would conflict with you eating properly. Go after work during Happy Hour. Be creative in your thinking and prospecting, is what I got from his post.
I do the exact same thing. I frequent places where I'm most likely to run into my target market. I'm going out anyway. Why not go and just hang out there, until they sense that you are a regular. Then switch up, and become a regular somewhere else. My target market loves to bowl. Join a league where your target market dominates. They love to skate. Go often enough where they consider you a regular. They love to walk. Walk until they notice you. My target market loves to dance, and there are more women than men. Guess what this handsome hunk does? I learned how to attract them to me with my swag. More importantly, they love to talk and will initiate the conversation if you're smooth! That's the key. You gotta be smooth with it. All I do is look good, smell good, grab their hand, complement them, smile, etc. Oh, oftentimes, I might wear a shirt that hints at what I do. Be creative.

This isht is Chess! It ain't Checkers!!!

Last edited:
I think you may have missed the point or analyzed too much. It is not necessary that you eat a full meal every time you frequent the place. Nurse a drink, or two, for 45 mins. It doesn't have to occur at lunchtime, if you feel it would conflict with you eating properly. Go after work during Happy Hour. Be creative in your thinking and prospecting, is what I got from his post.
I do the exact same thing. I frequent places where I'm most likely to run into my target market. I'm going out anyway. Why not go and just hang out there, until they sense that you are a regular. Then switch up, and become a regular somewhere else. My target market loves to bowl. Join a league where your target market dominates. They love to skate. Go often enough where they consider you a regular. They love to walk. Walk until they notice you. My target market loves to dance, and there are more women than men. Guess what this handsome hunk does? I learned how to attract them to me with my swag. More importantly, they love to talk and will initiate the conversation if you're smooth! That's the key. You gotta be smooth with it. All I do is look good, smell good, grab their hand, complement them, smile, etc. Oh, oftentimes, I might where a shirt that hints at what I do. Be creative

No, I think I 100% got the point of the article.

I used to do stuff like this before I learned to get referrals from clients, averaging now 3.5 referrals from each client on the spot at the closing appt. To be completely frank, I don't even bother as I don't have time as I am constantly fielding referrals from the network that I have built.

But hey, if you want to got sit at the bar for 45 mins in the hopes that you can find someone interested in talking to you, godspeed. I'm too busy writing business as the result of an effective structured referral and network system.

Last edited:
Back