Outsourced Appointment Setter Vs. Pay-Per-Appointment?

ApptSetter

I've been weighing a few different appointment setting options and wanted to get your thoughts on what’s worked best for you guys selling Medicare plans.

Would you prefer either:
1. paying an outsourced appointment setter hourly plus a fee per appointment to work with your own leads (whether old or new), or
2. paying per appointment that’s booked on your calendar?

I’ve heard from other agents that finding a good appointment setter can be tricky, so I’m wondering if one of these approaches works better than the other.

I'm sure there are tons of ways to handle this, so I’d love to hear which setup you think works best and why.

Thanks in advance for your advice and input!

I've been weighing a few different appointment setting options and wanted to get your thoughts on what’s worked best for you guys selling Medicare plans.

Would you prefer either:
1. paying an outsourced appointment setter hourly plus a fee per appointment to work with your own leads (whether old or new), or

I’ve heard from other agents that finding a good appointment setter can be tricky, so I’m wondering if one of these approaches works better than the other.

I'm sure there are tons of ways to handle this, so I’d love to hear which setup you think works best and why.

What kind of leads and what kind of appointments face to face or desk jockey

What kind of leads and what kind of appointments face to face or desk jockey
Mainly data leads from various lead vendors. And then mostly desk appointments, but it could be a mix. Face to face might convert better, but it also takes more time with driving and what not. What do you think is better?

Would you prefer either:

years ago I had an appointment setter. Paid her per appointment, and to ensure that they were quality appointments, I also paid her a bonus if I made a sale. She was also only paid for the appointment if the customer was there when I showed up at the house.

Most appointment setters would not agree to these terms. But she was pro. And I had to go through countless crappy appointment setters to find her.

She ended up making a pretty decent buck at the end of the day, but she only stuck with me for 2 years so. Once she was eligible to draw social security and her state pension she retired. But she is still a customer of mine today 🙂

Mainly data leads from various lead vendors. And then mostly desk appointments, but it could be a mix. Face to face might convert better, but it also takes more time with driving and what not. What do you think is better?
So you are cold calling? Probably need someone off shore,

years ago I had an appointment setter. Paid her per appointment, and to ensure that they were quality appointments, I also paid her a bonus if I made a sale. She was also only paid for the appointment if the customer was there when I showed up at the house.

Most appointment setters would not agree to these terms. But she was pro. And I had to go through countless crappy appointment setters to find her.

She ended up making a pretty decent buck at the end of the day, but she only stuck with me for 2 years so. Once she was eligible to draw social security and her state pension she retired. But she is still a customer of mine today 🙂
Wow so you didn't pay anything per hour, only per appointment?

How much should you pay an appointment setter per appointment vs per hour?

Wow so you didn't pay anything per hour, only per appointment?

How much should you pay an appointment setter per appointment vs per hour?
This particular one, yes only per appt and a bonus if I made a sale.
It was probably 10 or 11 years ago I had this deal with her, but if I remember right, I paid her something like $20 or $25 per appt and another $20 or $25 if I made a sale. She was a diamond in the ruff.
It ended up being a lucrative arrangement. And I believe she had similar deals with other agents as well at the same time.

I've done the hourly thing twice before as well. Neither of those worked out. One was offshore in the Philippines. It was one of the companies that Chris Westfall set up. The guy was supposed to be paid $3/hr, and as soon as the garuantee window that Chris Westfall gave ran out, the Philippine guy started demanding more money. This was about 5 years ago.

The other hourly situation I had was a local guy. About 10 years ago. I think it was right after the lady I mentioned before retired. He wanted $14/hr if I remember correctly. Ended up quitting after about a month. Said the Medicare market was the hardest market he ever worked and went back to cold calling life insurance or something for other agents.

The last one I had was actually a licensed agent. Only a few years ago. He worked straight commission. Didn't want to be in the field anymore and just liked the phone, and wanted something to do for a couple hours a week. While he wasn't bad on the phone, and I agreed to give him 33% of the commission, the dude had no sense of direction or geography.
At the time I lived in Clermont, and he'd send me out to Orlando in the morning, then to Lakeland in the afternoon, and back to Orlando later in the day. "But you're traveling in a straight line!" He said 🤯
I eventually had to end our relationship for other reasons, but he was the last telemarketer I had.

I actually enjoy controlling my schedule myself these days rather than relinquishing it to someone else

This particular one, yes only per appt and a bonus if I made a sale.
It was probably 10 or 11 years ago I had this deal with her, but if I remember right, I paid her something like $20 or $25 per appt and another $20 or $25 if I made a sale. She was a diamond in the ruff.
It ended up being a lucrative arrangement. And I believe she had similar deals with other agents as well at the same time.

I've done the hourly thing twice before as well. Neither of those worked out. One was offshore in the Philippines. It was one of the companies that Chris Westfall set up. The guy was supposed to be paid $3/hr, and as soon as the garuantee window that Chris Westfall gave ran out, the Philippine guy started demanding more money. This was about 5 years ago.

The other hourly situation I had was a local guy. About 10 years ago. I think it was right after the lady I mentioned before retired. He wanted $14/hr if I remember correctly. Ended up quitting after about a month. Said the Medicare market was the hardest market he ever worked and went back to cold calling life insurance or something for other agents.

The last one I had was actually a licensed agent. Only a few years ago. He worked straight commission. Didn't want to be in the field anymore and just liked the phone, and wanted something to do for a couple hours a week. While he wasn't bad on the phone, and I agreed to give him 33% of the commission, the dude had no sense of direction or geography.
At the time I lived in Clermont, and he'd send me out to Orlando in the morning, then to Lakeland in the afternoon, and back to Orlando later in the day. "But you're traveling in a straight line!" He said 🤯
I eventually had to end our relationship for other reasons, but he was the last telemarketer I had.

I actually enjoy controlling my schedule myself these days rather than relinquishing it to someone else

Dang that sounds like a good gig.

Have you ever found any good lead gen companies that book appointments for you and do a good job, or are lead setters who call regular data leads for you the way to go?

Back