P&C Start Up - Smart Choice Alternative?

TJ2900

Smart Choice seemed perfect, until I realized the lack of support for the price. The 2 year non-compete is not fair to my clients, we have a fiduciary repsonsibility after all.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you need additoinal info, please ask.

-t

Just 1 suggestion...air your complaints-negative thoughts somewhere else. So, smartchoice isn't for you...they work very well for others. Since you're a "start-up" agency I suppose you should be entitled to all the best contracts that carriers have to offer:no: best of luck finding those contracts.

we have a fiduciary repsonsibility after all
.:1baffled:

I don't see anything wrong with what was quoted. Do you have skin in the game? You're acting pretty defensive for no reason.:no:

Just 1 suggestion...air your complaints-negative thoughts somewhere else. So, smartchoice isn't for you...they work very well for others. Since you're a "start-up" agency I suppose you should be entitled to all the best contracts that carriers have to offer:no: best of luck finding those contracts.

.:1baffled:

In case you are the real internet police...My dog was missing this morning so I had nothing to kick around...this was my first opportunity to be mean....I think I nailed it!

Oh yeah, no skin in the game either, just tired of new agents who think they're entitled to high end pay even though they have "little" or "no" production history...good luck with that

What, you don't think that a new person that calls with questions every day deserves a 95-100% contract?

One who does not know what fiduciary respsonsibilty is- need not be in our industry. Thank you for the suggestions, looks like I need to start my own turn key company to support competent agents. No one knows exactly what the experience level is and some just assume that start-up means "newbie." Any additional suggestions for "super general agencies" would be appreciated.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No complaints only facts, an agent that assumes another agent is out only for himself has seen the mirror clearly.

The best contracts yes, for my CLIENTS.

Last edited:
Not only do I know what fiduciary responsibility is...I know how to spell it. Anyone who can interpret an insurance contract should be able to decipher which is best for his/her clients. Smartchoice has absolutely "nothing" to do with the wording in the client/carrier contract...thus your fiduciary responsibility comment directed at them is BS in my eyes.

No worry here I already have good contracts with some of the best companies in the business. If your competence level was significant you'd not need a wholesaler. Or....:skeptical:you could move ahead with your plan and start your own wholesale brokerage for "competent" agents.

It depends who you are and where you are. There are several small regional clusters that provide 100% and 90% of contingency with excellent contracts from the first premium dollar... but they charge fees to join and monthly fees so the break even point is about $250K in premium for the first year. If you are well funded to start out this is a great option.

There are also carriers that will appoint and support you as long as you give them first right of refusal (Allied and CIG offer this in my area) and you can get off to a good start if those carriers are competitive in your area.

There are many ways to start a successful agency and not every company is a perfect fit for every start up. All of the aggregators and clusters have their good and bad points and they all fill a need for certain agents. The bottom line is that you can't get something for free... these companies need to pay their bills either through a commission split or startup and monthly fees. If you don't have the upfront money then you have to deal with the splits that are available.

Back