Staring P&C

ASRE

I am an experienced agent. I mostly have focused on life and investment. I have done some business but it's mostly given to another agent. It's not going well since he passed away and son took over the business. I am ending up spending more time in follow up emails. I am at a point that I need to start my own P&C agency. My clients are asking me to offer P&C which is a good problem to have.

I am looking for help with how to get contracted with standard and admitted market carrier for auto, home and small business insurance. Most ask for a volume or a book of business which of course I don't have much since I never wanted to get into P&C. I would like to keep business under my agency name. I am in Illinois and licensed in six other states.

I will appreciate your help.

You're gonna have to go through a cluster, but I would strongly advise not to do it right now. Carriers are turning away new agents and new business.

It's like jumping into mortgages in 2007. It was great before and will be again, just not now.

I am an experienced agent. I mostly have focused on life and investment. I have done some business but it's mostly given to another agent. It's not going well since he passed away and son took over the business. I am ending up spending more time in follow up emails. I am at a point that I need to start my own P&C agency. My clients are asking me to offer P&C which is a good problem to have.

I am looking for help with how to get contracted with standard and admitted market carrier for auto, home and small business insurance. Most ask for a volume or a book of business which of course I don't have much since I never wanted to get into P&C. I would like to keep business under my agency name. I am in Illinois and licensed in six other states.

I will appreciate your help.
P&C is nothing like Life and investments.

What State are you in?
My clients are asking me to offer P&C
What type of P&C - Commercial or Personal Lines?

I would strongly advise not to do it right now.
Words of wisdom, without knowing more specifics about your situation.

Its possible that your state is not a dumpster fire like NY, Florida, or California - but it might be coming to you very very very soon. Nationally speaking in general, insurers are pulling back, way back.

You have experience so it might be a path forward. If we have not scared you enough - I would start researching Clusters. Make sure you confirm with any given cluster which of their insurers will allow appointments at this time.

Back