abcsales

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
new one to me---
this person holds dual citizenship.
Started part A when t65
Moved to US in April
Is now age 77, when can he start B??

Hadn't needed part B as he was living in Canada, just across border from US and worked in US

He can enroll in Part B during the next General Enrollment Period (GEP) which will be Jan 1st throught Mar 31st for a July 1st eff date. He will pay a penalty.

Hadn't needed part B as he was living in Canada, just across border from US and worked in US

Was he covered by a qualifed health plan while employed, aka maj med?
If so, providing he meets min criteria under soc sec system [30 qtrs], he can sign up right away; has up to 6 months from separation of maj med plan, if this is his first Part B enrollment. If he hasn't been covered by another health plan then he would have to wait to sign up for Part B until Jan 1 to Mar 31 to enroll, and it would become effective July 1st, 2013. Late enrollment penalty will likely apply the latter example.

Less than 30 qtrs in the soc sec system... Part B costs $ 451 per mo.

Was he covered by a qualifed health plan while employed, aka maj med?
If so, providing he meets min criteria under soc sec system [30 qtrs], he can sign up right away; has up to 6 months from separation of maj med plan, if this is his first Part B enrollment. If he hasn't been covered by another health plan then he would have to wait to sign up for Part B until Jan 1 to Mar 31 to enroll, and it would become effective July 1st, 2013. Late enrollment penalty will likely apply the latter example.

Less than 30 qtrs in the soc sec system... Part B costs $ 451 per mo.
Yea..peob Canadian healthcare system

exactly, Canadian healthcare system. He lived in Canada, worked across the border in US, so fully eligible for Medicare.
He retired in Canada, so on their system.

I know he is eligible, just not sure when he can enroll. I have advised him to call Medicare as I saw on the website it depends on if he is receiving social security as to whether or not he can enroll now or must wait until January

Back