Part B or Part D

New kid

Expert
Hello everyone,

Newer agent here. I have a client Medicare effective 05/01 this year, she is taking "humira" - very expensive drug. (She is injecting herself). Since the drug is $5k/mo, will this drug be covered under Medicare part B (we are talking about getting a supplement) or Part D?
Thank you,

If she can't qualify for Extra Help or a PAP she can ask her doc about generic drugs
Rheumatoid Arthritis Medications - GoodRx

I have a client with RA that takes plaquenil.

I also understand that autoimmune disease comes in various forms and med's that work for one person may not do the same for another.

Just offering some suggestions you might want to pass along.

Old discussions mentioned Mark's Marine Pharmacy as an option for insulin. Might also apply to Humira.

(I have no idea how this compares to the Part D catastrophic coverage-just wanted you to have the idea in the event you would find it helpful for one of your clients in the future.)

Last edited:
Also you can bring up infusions as those are covered under Part B .

Cimzia and remicaid are 2 popular ones

Hello everyone,

Newer agent here. I have a client Medicare effective 05/01 this year, she is taking "humira" - very expensive drug. (She is injecting herself). Since the drug is $5k/mo, will this drug be covered under Medicare part B (we are talking about getting a supplement) or Part D?
Thank you,

If it was a drug administered in the doctor's office, it would likely be covered under Part B. Otherwise it is part D.

Back