Passed the state exam! Now what?

Jocko

hey guys, I have just passed my Florida 2-20 exam along with the mandatory 200 study hours.
and really all I am looking for is a little education on how insurance agency's go about their
hiring and/or training of noobs (myself for instance lol). now my situation I feel is somewhat unique
in that I took a sate exam for a state I don't even plan on being a resident of for 3 months.
naturally I cannot be given my actual license until I am a resident of the state I wish to sell insurance.
however, I am planning to sign on a lease in sept (job or no job) and I am very curious as to weather
since I have all the documentation papers to prove that I qualify for a license if there is even a remote possibility of being hired before my license is technically given to me? obviously I have a clean record
(not even a speeding ticket) or else I wouldn't even bother with putting so much time into this as a career choice. thank you in advance for you time.

I just realized I might have made it sound like I only wanted to be a resident of Florida for three months. Perhaps a better way of wording that would be to say I will be a resident of Florida three months from now. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused

remote possibility of being hired before my license is technically given to me?

Possible, probably talk to state farm or allstate in your local area, especially for new offices or new brokers. Some brokers are willing to get you on board since you already pass the exam. Pay won't be great but it's a start.

Possible, probably talk to state farm or allstate in your local area, especially for new offices or new brokers. Some brokers are willing to get you on board since you already pass the exam. Pay won't be great but it's a start.
Thank you for the reply. I will look into that

How
how insurance agency's go about their
hiring

Update your resume and figure out what type of company you want to work for. Start contacting the companies by emailing your resume, checking their "career" sections on websites and completing online applications. Also contact insurance agents in your area, and/or message them on IG/Facebook and ask if they have any opportunities to hire.

How

Update your resume and figure out what type of company you want to work for. Start contacting the companies by emailing your resume, checking their "career" sections on websites, and completing online applications. Also, contact insurance agents in your area, and/or message them on IG/Facebook and ask if they have any opportunities to hire.
Thank you. You mentioned what type of company Id like to work for. Is there a way to determine what to look for in a good employer/agency?

Thank you. You mentioned what type of company Id like to work for. Is there a way to determine what to look for in a good employer/agency?

The main thing it comes down to is if you want to work for a captive or independent.

Captive agents sell insurance for one company such as State Farm, Nationwide, Allstate etc. You will only be allowed to sell their polices. Although it seems like they are good places to start because of their "support"...

I wouldn't know much about the support or hiring process though. I am fairly new to the industry and work for an independent agency. I started February 2020 as an account manager in the operations side of things. However I making the switch to Broker in a month. They gave me the opportunity to learn the back end of it before throwing me into the fire..

Independent Agents sell for a number of different companies. Giving you the ability to shop around and obtain quotes from many carriers, as long as the agency has an appointment with them. The more markets your agency has access to the better obviously.

There is pros and cons to everything. I work for a fairly large agency with a HUGE amount of markets, account support, risk management resources, great benefits, many offices to work from and remote options..the list goes on. ALTHOUGH our commission splits on Commercial Accounts are 40% for new business and 24% renewals. I know some folks who work at smaller agencies and the commission splits are much better as well as more flexibility/less "rules" if you will. I like having the structure in place though, I have faith that it will benefit me(in the beginning at least lol)

Back