PDP reports on Medicare.gov

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Anyone else having trouble with Mcare drug reports. I have run several where the copay's on Mcare don't match carrier pricing for the same drug. BIG problem with Silver Script reports.

In some cases SS has higher prices, in others, lower.

Had same issue with a client. He had trouble enrolling with the silverscript link, called the company. The rep said their prices on medicare.gov were not correct. Rep ran through the clients meds and enrolled them. Said they would give me credit, yet didn't bother to ask for my name or writing number....I am sure I will get credit for this one...

Silverscript is pulling the same thing the one AARP UH PDP has been doing last couple years. They show almost all generics as $1.50 or $2.00 full price so then it's way lower than the actual copays and puts them at the top of the list. My fear is Area Agencies that help Seniors don't catch onto it and just enroll in the 1st plan that pops up. I like Silverscript so it sucks they are doing this.

Yeah I don’t get that. Why doesn’t medicare just have each Drug the same “full cost” at each pharmacy.
eg. If Lisinopril is $9 full cost with AARP at Walgreens then it should be $9 full cost with SS at Walgreens. Seems like an easy fix...but it’s the govt

Silverscript is pulling the same thing the one AARP UH PDP has been doing last couple years. They show almost all generics as $1.50 or $2.00 full price so then it's way lower than the actual copays and puts them at the top of the list. My fear is Area Agencies that help Seniors don't catch onto it and just enroll in the 1st plan that pops up. I like Silverscript so it sucks they are doing this.

I think I am not knowledgeable enough to understand what you said, but would like to. Are you able to explain it a bit more? (As I was typing, the question came to mind-are you suggesting that one should compare tier levels between plans as well as pricing?)

[This is relevant to me because of attempting to help a family member with alzheimers choose a better drug plan than their current $85 AARP plan and Rick has done his best to shut off any response to a question I asked about the low cost AARP plans in another thread.]

Thanks.
LD

Last edited:
Just make sure you are looking at everything when comparing plans. One company may show a generic as costing $24.00 and have a copay as $6.00 whereas another company may show that same drug only costing $1.65 full price so on their plan it shows the client paying $1.65 each month for it vs. whatever their copay should be if it was listed as $24.00/month.

Yeah I don’t get that. Why doesn’t medicare just have each Drug the same “full cost” at each pharmacy.
eg. If Lisinopril is $9 full cost with AARP at Walgreens then it should be $9 full cost with SS at Walgreens. Seems like an easy fix...but it’s the govt

Because "full price" isn't the same. Varies by pharmacy and even by the part of town where the pharmacy is.

Pharmacy's in high income areas often have lower pricing than in low income areas. Call it what you want, but it happens.

Not just limited to Rx.

Malt liquor and menthol cigarettes are higher priced in low income areas than high income.

Back to Rx.

The pharmacy's wholesale cost can vary from one drug to another based on volume and the PBM pricing. Kgmom can explain this better.

The drug part, not the malt liquor/Salem pricing

Just make sure you are looking at everything when comparing plans. One company may show a generic as costing $24.00 and have a copay as $6.00 whereas another company may show that same drug only costing $1.65 full price so on their plan it shows the client paying $1.65 each month for it vs. whatever their copay should be if it was listed as $24.00/month.

Ok, thank you. I will have to think on this a bit. I don't have the broad experience you are speaking from.

My limited, specific, experience is the reverse. For 2017, SS shows a $3.00 payment for tier 1 drugs, but a lesser list price for Meloxicam. Using SS at a Kroger pharmacy in the last two weeks, I got change back from $3.00 for a purchase of a 90 day supply of Meloxicam.

At the moment, I don't know how one judges when a misstatement of fact is being presented and when it is not.

Because "full price" isn't the same. Varies by pharmacy and even by the part of town where the pharmacy is.

Pharmacy's in high income areas often have lower pricing than in low income areas. Call it what you want, but it happens.

Not just limited to Rx.

Malt liquor and menthol cigarettes are higher priced in low income areas than high income.

Back to Rx.

The pharmacy's wholesale cost can vary from one drug to another based on volume and the PBM pricing. Kgmom can explain this better.

The drug part, not the malt liquor/Salem pricing

That’s why I was saying wallgreens. You pick an exact location. Full price should be the same.

I literally just left a house and using the same exact pharmacy, medicare said he would hit the coverage gap a full 2 months earlier because the full price was different. Way different

Back