Pennsylvania markets

Feb 22, 2008

1. 1manshow

1manshow Guru

State:
    Pennsylvania
    We currently write for Highmark, UPMC, Health America and I'm wondering if there are any other good companies/products out there that we should be offering our clients. We are primarily a P & C agency, but we have developed a good book of health clients just writing them as an accomodation. Some of these small group rates turn my stomach, especially the group I pay for my employees in the office. Single rate just went to $621/month Ouch!

1manshow, Feb 22, 2008
  2. salpro22

salpro22 Guru

State:
    Texas
    If you're serious about selling health, you'll want to get appointed with every company that appoints brokers, so you don't limit your options. With the exception of BCBS of NE-PA because they abhor agent.

Aetna
    Assurant
    Golden Rule
    The other BCBS carriers.

salpro22, Feb 22, 2008
  3. CHUMPS FROM OXFORD

CHUMPS FROM OXFORD Guru

State:
    Ohio
    Add UHC's AMS. Terrific in some areas of Central Pa. Also, Celtic is competitive in about 15 zips.

Assurant is high, of course. GR is funky. Solid rates in Pittsburgh, but deteriorates until you get to the other side of the state.

4. moonlightandmargaritas

moonlightandmargaritas Guru

State:
    Florida
    Do some research on defined contribution health plans, using individual/family plans in conjunction with an IRC Sec. 105 Health Reimbursement Arrangement.

Employees get better, safer coverage. Boss saves about 30% roughly.

5. salpro22

salpro22 Guru

State:
    Texas
    Isn't AMS in like 2 states?

salpro22, Feb 22, 2008
  6. Delta76

Delta76 Guru

Do some research on defined contribution health plans, using individual/family plans in conjunction with an IRC Sec. 105 Health Reimbursement Arrangement.

Employees get better, safer coverage. Boss saves about 30% roughly.

I agree that this is a great strategy, however, you need to know your state rules. I called the MN Dept. of Commerce and they told me that any agent that replaces a group plan with individual coverage is liable to loose their license. They pointed me to the actual regulation and it makes me much more cautious.

If it was my business, I would almost certainly go the IFP with an HRA route. When ever I meet with an employer about to establish a virgin group plan, I advise them that the choices they make now are going to impact their satisfaction level and options for years to come. I almost always advise a defined contribution strategy.

Delta76, Feb 22, 2008
  7. 1manshow

1manshow Guru

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the info. Called my Highmark broker and he says he can get me UHC but they are pretty strict on underwriting small groups. Hopefully, that will translate to more friendly rates for the clean risks. Licensing w/GR was quite easy, did that in 15 minutes. Nice to have more options.

I can't imagine how easy it would be to solicit this market if I was life/health only !! I wrote one 50+ group a couple months ago and I only got one quote from the broker and presented that plan w/highmark and they took it. I felt a little guilty afterward for not shopping it, but I really didn't want to write it in the first place. Maybe us P & C guys are just naturally better salesmen:yes::no:

1manshow, Feb 22, 2008
  8. CHUMPS FROM OXFORD

CHUMPS FROM OXFORD Guru

State:
    Ohio
    No. Quite a few.

9. moonlightandmargaritas

moonlightandmargaritas Guru

State:
    Florida
    I worked in management for Allstate some years ago. Most of the agents couldn't sell tea in China.

10. TXINSURANCE

TXINSURANCE Guru

Didn't United buy AMS?