PFFS Plans - STOP SELLING!

It looks like it's just the 7 companies, not all PFFS plans. Although the 7 listed were some of the major carriers and probably wrote a good portion of the MA plans. Here's the latest from CMS....

Thanks for the link

Well, just like the initial announcement, they keep stressing "controls" on marketing these advantage plans. That is good! Means agents will have to call in at point of sale.

Obviously, Pyramid agents , and probably other carriers too, will now have to be re-trained and re-certified. That could be a Pain in the A--. Especially if they demand it now and then again for the 2008 season.

The good news is I know which carrier I don't want.

In a few years, they may squelch these ma plans, so clients can switch under guaranteed issue provision. But the rates will be fun too.

Humana has been focused on creating regional PPO plans. They have had them in place for some time, but people were taking the PFFS plans instead.

Personally, I think that would be a more stable market. Start with what you have in the metros and start to branch out over time, not overnight.

Its nice to see everyone in it for the money.

Most clients here in Florida were snowbirds who liked the PFFS because oif flexibility and no good options for PPO's in this county.

Add in the zero premium and part B rebate and you couldn't stop them from signing up.

So putting someone on a med supp who don't have 2 nickles to rub together is not an option.

I know I know...others on this board don't care if seniors don't have money...Thats their fault!!!

Lastly....One of the big reasons for the PFFS demise in this county. The hospital company that owned 3 of the 5 hospitals in the area and largest doctor network....owned their own HMO MA plan!!!!!! BTW, they also told their doctors they were not allowed to take patients from other plans.

P.S> Heard at a meeting last week that Medicare wants to do the issuing of member cards next year for each company...... Seeing as how they are months behind right now without that responsibility, where are they going to be in 2008!!

Absolutely disgusting!!!

Its nice to see everyone in it for the money.

Most clients here in Florida were snowbirds who liked the PFFS because oif flexibility and no good options for PPO's in this county.

Add in the zero premium and part B rebate and you couldn't stop them from signing up.

So putting someone on a med supp who don't have 2 nickles to rub together is not an option.

I know I know...others on this board don't care if seniors don't have money...Thats their fault!!!

Lastly....One of the big reasons for the PFFS demise in this county. The hospital company that owned 3 of the 5 hospitals in the area and largest doctor network....owned their own HMO MA plan!!!!!! BTW, they also told their doctors they were not allowed to take patients from other plans.

P.S> Heard at a meeting last week that Medicare wants to do the issuing of member cards next year for each company...... Seeing as how they are months behind right now without that responsibility, where are they going to be in 2008!!

Absolutely disgusting!!!

That's the situation here too with one of the counties I work in; exactly the same. On the hospital end and the people not having the $$$$ to afford a supp.
I highly relate.

Relax everyone...these are just growing pains. Most of us were making a fine living without MA just doing med supps...so focus on those for now and wait until this smoothes over. The old cliche, don't put all your eggs in one basket, is most true in the medicare health insurance market...

Well said Kyle.

What I see happening...

Insurance agents are going to have some form (separate from the application) that each client needs to sign that states they can go to any provider that accepts Medicare and agrees to the terms and conditions of the PFFS plan.

How else would Medicare go about this? They have no control over what the agent says in the home.

So the rapid growth of the PFFS plans is the problem? How ridiculous! Remember back to the DNC talking points before the election, they don't like MA period and also want the HSA discontinue, in fact anything Pres. Bush has implemented. This is nothing more then political posturing.

Latest posts

Back