Picking the Right Company

JaceG

So I just got licensed last month and started with a company selling health insurance that wasn't the right fit for me, but now I'm getting hit up by recruiters left and right. So I'm looking into all the companies that are contacting me. What I'm finding is that most posts I find on here about people asking for insight on a company they joined that did something they didn't like, or are looking to get a second opinion, etc, are filled with comments talking shit and referencing to Facebook groups or something of the people that work there talking shit. Every once in a while I'll see someone comment that they are not a bad company or that work there and enjoy it, but those are like 1 out of every 15 commenters (bullshit stat, just what it feels like though)

I guess what I'm asking is, if it seems like all companies for a new agent to sign onto are equally shitty... aren't they all equally as good? Or am I missing the thread where there is a side-by-side comparison review of the features of different companies for new agents to choose from and the handful that are above/below average to top it off? Or maybe I'm just spoiled by Amazon.

So I just got licensed last month and started with a company selling health insurance that wasn't the right fit for me, but now I'm getting hit up by recruiters left and right. So I'm looking into all the companies that are contacting me. What I'm finding is that most posts I find on here about people asking for insight on a company they joined that did something they didn't like, or are looking to get a second opinion, etc, are filled with comments talking shit and referencing to Facebook groups or something of the people that work there talking shit. Every once in a while I'll see someone comment that they are not a bad company or that work there and enjoy it, but those are like 1 out of every 15 commenters (bullshit stat, just what it feels like though)

I guess what I'm asking is, if it seems like all companies for a new agent to sign onto are equally shitty... aren't they all equally as good? Or am I missing the thread where there is a side-by-side comparison review of the features of different companies for new agents to choose from and the handful that are above/below average to top it off? Or maybe I'm just spoiled by Amazon.

When new people enter the industry, certain debates always seem to come to the forefront. Captive vs. independent is one of them. I don't think that's a discussion where a newbie can come to a conclusion based upon some internet back and forth. I think it's a long discussion, based upon a lot of due diligence, and very specific to the person, and in the end you still may not make a decision that aligns with where you may end up in the future. You don't know what you don't know, and the future is certainly one thing you don't know -- and you should know you don't know it! LOL.

That said, one of the overlooked, often neglected topics is this -- go with a company, a firm, an organization, that can and will support you in the marketplace you want to be in! I can't stress that enough. Don't know to work for a company, firm, or organization that focuses on the business, corporate, etc., marketplace, if you are interested in the kitchen table evening marketplace. Look for a quality, complimentary, good fit. Go interview at a Mass Mutual agency and you'll see one thing, one business model, one type of firm. I can send you to a different Mass Mutual agency and you'll see something completely different. So, you have to expect to see something different between a Mass Mutual agency, and a corporate Prudential agency, or an RIA, or an indy wealth management firm. And so on and so on.

Take your time, do your due diligence, talk to people in the industry, in different aspects of it. Then do more due diligence. When you're done with that, keep doing it, talk to more people. Remember, recruiting, interviewing -- it's all a sale! They are selling you! All the best!

At least some people have made plenty of money selling insurance that they didn’t have the need to also run a fast tool restaurant into the ground.

Back