Please help with Medicare emergency

Nicolacrayola

Expert
I have a client who wound up with no supplement or advantage plan-he was trying to switch from Medicare advantage to Medicare Supplement and as he is 71 years old and has been in Medicare advantage for more than a couple of years, he had to go through underwriting. Unfortunately the application for the drug plan was put in prematurely and it kicked out the advantage plan in late December and then he was not approved for the supplement. Can he go back to his Aetna advantage plan? I’m being told all kinds of different things and this client has already been through enough and I don’t want to make any mistakes.

I have a client who wound up with no supplement or advantage plan-he was trying to switch from Medicare advantage to Medicare Supplement and as he is 71 years old and has been in Medicare advantage for more than a couple of years, he had to go through underwriting. Unfortunately the application for the drug plan was put in prematurely and it kicked out the advantage plan in late December and then he was not approved for the supplement. Can he go back to his Aetna advantage plan? I’m being told all kinds of different things and this client has already been through enough and I don’t want to make any mistakes.

Are there any Five Star Plans in his area? If so, you can add him to that. Otherwise, he will have to wait until AEP, unless he qualifies for another SEP. Here is a link to SEPs: Special circumstances (Special Enrollment Periods) | Medicare

He could file a grievance through medicare if he feels he was done dirty and they may possibly reinstate his MA plan or find a five star plan or chronic plan in his area.

Are there any FEMA disaster SEPS available in his area? Does he belong to a SPAP?
Are there any Five Star Plans in his area? If so, you can add him to that. Otherwise, he will have to wait until AEP, unless he qualifies for another SEP. Here is a link to SEPs: Special circumstances (Special Enrollment Periods) | Medicare

Will it hurt anything to submit another supplement app? I had another agent tell me that putting in another supp app could make it worse and harder to get his adv back

Step 1, submit underwritten app. Step 2, after approval, submit Part D.
Who submitted the Part D? Insured or agent?
Regardless, have the insured call Medicare. Throw the agent under the bus if necessary.

What if an agent submitted med sup dec 4 and it wasn’t approved till the 10 th ? He waited till approval before submitting part d . He missed the deadline and can’t submit a pdp.

What if an agent submitted med sup dec 4 and it wasn’t approved till the 10 th ? He waited till approval before submitting part d . He missed the deadline and can’t submit a pdp.

A good agent would wait til 1/2 rather then submit a Med Sup app at that point of AEP. Or have a Cost Plan like me with no health questions. I thank God every day for Cost Plans.

Agent doesn’t understand underwriting timeframes. If someone on a MAPD came to me on Dec 4th and wanted back on a Med Supp, I would say “Sorry, the boat has sailed”.

Back