PMA USA Washington National

alexkh

Expert
Hello,

Any feedback on working with PMA USA selling supplemental benefits? Got a call from recruiter to sell their products. Not sure how it might work with an independent agents.

Thank you

alexkh said:

Any feedback on working with PMA USA selling supplemental benefits? Got a call from recruiter to sell their products. Not sure how it might work with an independent agents.

Like most agents, I'm always fielding calls from recruiters. I like to see what's out there as I do more than just Medicare. Last fall one called from PMA USA and I asked her to call me back after AEP. She did, as promised and scheduled an interview with the regional sales manager or something like that. She said he'd either text or email me the evening before to confirm (which he didn't).

OK, so the next morning after I didn't hear from him for our scheduled 9am call, I emailed her and she replied, "oh, your interview was tentative because you didn't hear from him first. I'll have him call you later." He called, we had a nice chat and he painted a rosy picture about their products, comp, etc. We ended the call with a promise he was going to forward me PDFs of some of their products, I was to review them and to reach out early the following week EVEN THOUGH it was the week between Christmas and New Years and he was on vacation, he was anxious to take my call! They REALLY need people in PA and NJ.

Guess who never got the PDFs or heard from him? The next time they come-a-calling, they will be getting an earful.

Since you were not specific, I will do the best I can to help.
1. They are a captive outfit.
2. The commissions are very low relative to what other carriers pay for the same product(s).
3. They will assign you orphan client businesses to rekindle relationships, if you like.
4. They will give you preset appointments with schools in your area to conduct appointments with staff and employees who may be interested.
5. They may also pay you a draw against future earnings for your first 6 months, give or take.

Back