Potential first insurance job

MountainMan2023

I have been offered an insurance job with NC Farm Bureau. It is a 100% commission role selling all lines of insurance and I am required to sell a certain number of each policies. Pretty standard stuff. My question is this. The current book of business I would be responsible for servicing while prospecting for new clients is 800k. Is that a decent client base to start with?

Yes it is a decent size. If you are properly cross selling and asking for referrals, again, I said properly, then you'll never need to go out and find clients. They'll provide them.

Servicing an $800k book will slow you down, though.

Last edited:
Update after meeting with the agency manager....

Inherited business pays 5%. This would result in approximately 40k "base pay"
New home and auto policies pay 15% and then 5% every renewal.
Term life pays 8% and whole life 11% for the duration they are in force.

The first two years are "probationary". Meaning that I have to sell at least 4 "P&C" policies each month. Any combination of home, auto, business, or any other liability. I also have to sell at least 3 life policies each month and the yearly premium for each 3 has to total at least $1,400. They do not fire you the first time you don't make your numbers but you are only given a couple months to get back on track.

If you buy your own leads and sell 3 term policies a month you will make near the 40k base. after that sell 2 more term life polices a month and you are making 60k.

I won't comment on the contract and other details. Plenty of others here can help you with that.

But since you'll be in a P&C agency and the expectation to sell life insurance and other policies, this training that Van Mueller did over 5 years ago should be required viewing to help you do exactly that. Some of it will be outdated (such as tax brackets), but you'll find it very helpful.

Back