Preparing for Series 6 Exam

N

nelson192

Hello Eveyone, I think the site is great and we can help better our future's by working together.

I recently opened an Allstate agency in April and one of their requirements is to obtain a Series 6 license within a 2 year timeframe. I have plenty of time to obtain the license, however, I nervous about the exam, the material covered and preperation needed. I heard from many agents that the exam is very difficult, you cant study enough and it took several times to pass.

My wife and I preparing for our first child so I created a timeline of when I need to achieve this license, and it's in 4 months. I'm considering classroom classes, but not if there is a better option. In your opinion, what is the best way to obtain this license on my first attempt? Is there a route I haven't been told to help prepare? I stress myself out over the "small" things and this has me pulled every direction.

Any tips is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Chad Nelson

Honestly, if you are halfway decent at tests, the 6 is a joke. Just get a good study guide, or take a prep class if that works better for you. The 63 is a little more difficult, as it is more about memorization.

Now, I understand the 7 is a different animal.

I agree that the 6 is a cake walk. I have passed it two different times scoring in the 90's both times. When I first took the 63 in 1989 it was a piece of cake. I took the 6 & 63 on the same day. When I re-took the 63 about six years ago it was a bear. I felt bad that I only scored 75 until I found out that my sales manager had scored 71 on it. Finding good computer based practice exams and doing them over and over until you can score in the high 80's is the way I always prepared. However, the practice exam I had for the 63 the last time wasn't very complete.

I studied for about a week and a half with 7 or 8 practice tests, then took a 3 day cram class with A.D Bankers I got a 86% on it, and I am not good at tests or studying at all.
It really is not a difficult test if you have some basic knowledge the 63 was a little more difficult.

Good luck.

If there's a test you have to take and pass, study for 100% and take whatever passing score you get. Usually the hard part with test isn't the material it's the wording..

Not sure when the others took the test, but I am an MBA and successfully sat for the CPA exam first try back when it you had to take all four sections at the same time. I took the 6 and 63 about 5 months ago on different dates and I found both to be very difficult. I passed both, but not with a score I'd brag about. I used the study cds and took practice tests until I could score at least a 90.

I just studied for about 4 hours a day one week and passed. It was easier for me, because I passed it in the summer after I graduated college, so I was used to studying. Just put some time into it, and it shouldn't be a problem.

I think both the 6 & 63 are easy tests to get nervous about taking and overthink.

There are 2 simple rules to follow to pass both tests, especially the 6.

- Read the question, then read ALL of the answers before marking your answer. If I recall, there are a lot of double negative questions, so wording can be a bit tricky. By reading all of the answers, you'll catch things like this AND things like 'All of the Above'.
- If in doubt, simply select the answer that best protects the consumer. Seriously, this tip alone will almost get you past the test.

Personally, I just downloaded the book from audible.com, listened to it a couple of times and took the test. By having it on cd, I found it a lot less difficult to get through than reading a book, which I did for about 3 pages before I fell asleep.

Nobody cares what your score is, simply whether you pass or fail.

Dan

The people who have said the test is a cake walk probably took the test in the 70's. I took the 6 and 63 recently (within the last year). If you go into the test thinking it's going to be a cake walk like some people have stated you will fail. I think the classes are a waste of time. Purchase the study material, spend 2 weeks reading the material and test yourself on your comprehension of the material and you will be fine.

Back