Prior to Age 65, on SSDI & Medicare-Lost EGHP & Turned 65 Questions ??

CALTCAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Background:

She was on SSDI and medicare before she turned 65.

She turned 65 in April. She lost her Employee Health Group Plan (EGHP). Not sure exactly when she lost it yet, but was told it was at 65.

I believe it was at 65 as they are not working and turned 65, is that most common reason ?

Questions:

1. Would she get an IEP2 for MAPD when turning 65 ?
2. An OE for Med Supps when turning 65 ?
3. Or do I need a letter as to when she lost the EGHP for a SEP ?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Background: She was on SSDI and medicare before she turned 65. She turned 65 in April. She lost her Employee Health Group Plan (EGHP). Not sure exactly when she lost it yet, but was told it was at 65. I believe it was at 65 as they are not working and turned 65, is that most common reason ? Questions: 1. Would she get an IEP2 for MAPD when turning 65 ? 2. An OE for Med Supps when turning 65 ? 3. Or do I need a letter as to when they lost the EGHP for a SEP ? Thanks!

Yes to both. No letter required.

This thread is déjà vu all over again.

Background:

She was on SSDI and medicare before she turned 65.

She turned 65 in April. She lost her Employee Health Group Plan (EGHP). Not sure exactly when she lost it yet, but was told it was at 65.

I believe it was at 65 as they are not working and turned 65, is that most common reason ?

Questions:

1. Would she get an IEP2 for MAPD when turning 65 ?
2. An OE for Med Supps when turning 65 ?
3. Or do I need a letter as to when she lost the EGHP for a SEP ?

Thanks!

IEP2 good through 7/1 effective ,GI/OEP for med sup for 6 months from 65th birthday month

No letter needed

Yes to both. No letter required.

This thread is déjà vu all over again.

I had to check as I was told conflicting info by "sales support". I get better info here.

I was told they would lose the IEP/OE because they already had medicare a & b. That is only for turning 65 and NEW to medicare.

They would only have a certain amount of days from when they lost the EGHP and I need the letter to see when they exactly lost it.

----------

I wanted to start over as I had conflicting info from FMO & a carrier. Obviously you guys know more!

Last edited:
I had to check as I was told conflicting info by "sales support". I get better info here.

I was told they would lose the IEP/OE because they already had medicare a & b. That is only for turning 65 and NEW to medicare.

They would only have a certain amount of days from when they lost the EGHP and I need the letter to see when they exactly lost it.

----------

I wanted to start over as I had conflicting info from FMO & a carrier. Obviously you guys know more!

Background:

"I have a lady that was on social security disability and she turned 65 and goes on regular social security.

She says she lost her coverage because she is on regular social security and not SSDI anymore, is that correct ?"

"If she is on SSDI and already on a MAPD or med supp., would she lose those for any reason at 65 ?

Does turning 65 knock a SSDI recipient off of a current MAPD or supp ?

I am trying to figure out why she lost her coverage. "

This is like when a confused Medicare consumer says they have a med sup when they actually have a MA. She didn't lose anything by turning 65 other than the letter " D " in SSDI. However now that she has turned 65 and collecting SSI instead of SSDI the government has officially changed her social status from American Citizen to Senior Citizen - just kidding.

Other than their retirement benefit being called SSI instead of SSDI before they turned 65 it usually makes no difference in their amount of income and it makes absolutely no difference in their original Medicare benefits.

They do get a new OE for Med supp and a much cheaper rates ( in most states) compared to under 65 Med supp rates. Also the IEP2 for MA or PDP change

This is like when a confused Medicare consumer says they have a med sup when they actually have a MA. She didn't lose anything by turning 65 other than the letter " D " in SSDI. However now that she has turned 65 and collecting SSI instead of SSDI the government has officially changed her social status from American Citizen to Senior Citizen - just kidding.

Yeah, the daughter was giving me shaky information. That and I didn't know the questions to ask as I'm still figuring this out.

She was in a hurry as she was calling from work. I wanted to get Rx & Dr. info before we met. She didn't have that.

I think maybe I should have just set the appointment as what I have to offer is going to be better than what she has, which is nothing right now.

Was trying to gauge the ability to handle a med supp premium. The daughter just paused and couldn't answer.

She really didn't know much, couldn't answer much, and was busy.

Yet wants me to come over and solve all of her moms problems.

Last edited:
Back