Prospecting/ My 20 Point Day System

I have to agree with the others that the pitch is dated.

That being said, if you BELIEVE in what you are doing, and APPLY what you BELIEVE, anything will work.

Or as John says, anything works as long as you do.

Atlas said:
Well guys Burt is a life member of MDRT and has used this forever and still uses it.

I made MDRT using it buy June of this year. With the 5 ways you are selling buy sells, biz count., DI buy sells, ect. There are only 5 way you can go out of biz, this takes care of all of them. The bottom line is you may can say it will not work, yet it seems that it has worked for thousands and thousands of agents for 50 years. That is very easy to say it will not work you have never tried it. To put down something you have never tried may not be the best idea, when it has worked for so many others

It may be an old idea, however Burt is the most famous agent in the USA today and has been famous for about 45 years. The 5 ways made him famous, and it is keeping him famous He still writes for life insurance selling mag. he is still their number one speaker. He makes more in speaker fees than 20 of us put together make selling insurance. He may have made more that all of us on this web site put together selling insurance last year. The bottom line is he is just like John Savage and the circle talk, it worked 50 years ago and it works today. If you do not want to use 5 ways by all means do not use it. Yet do not tell people that it will not work when it works better than any face to face script in life insurance selling history.

What you're confusing is his methods and simply working hard. Burt is obviously an extremely hard worker and what we're trying to get across is there's other pitches while going B to B that are just as effective, if not more effective.

Burt simply found a method that fit his personality and his style of selling and hit the street. What needs to be discussed is you won't be successful unless you find a pitch that fits YOUR personality - not Burts.

Agents die in this business because they don't work hard. I can guarantee you and even would be willing to bet you that if any agent went B to B for a few hours a day, believed in what they were selling and was confident you can almost say anything and get a lot of clients.

The reason I'm against "systems" is supposedly it's a "one size fits all" approach to selling. Basically the concept is "say this word for word and you'll be as successful as me." That's misleading. If I used that pitch I'd feel uncomfortable and that would come across to the owner. I'd tank. Then I'd wonder what I was doing wrong.

I can guarantee that anyone could do as well as Burt if they worked just as hard as him and used a simple: "I'm ________ and I'd like to introduce myself as a local independent agent...." pitch.

john_petrowski,

I think most of you misunderstood the whole point of the post.

My pitch is the 20 point system, not the 5 ways. 5 ways is just 1 of 15 ways to earn points. I do it all. Yet the 5 ways works very well. The bottom line is go to work and do not by leads. Get your own leads by hard work. Use any ideas in the system, if you do not like one idea do not use it. Yet keep the numbers high and you will do well.

Absolutely 100% agree. Just over a month ago I decided to turn on some shared leads for the winter. They're all shut down now and I'm telemarketing to business owners.

I like the 20 point system - it's very inventive. For me, I need five quality leads per day to make good money. I track my day on spreadsheets and do an assessment of my day each night. On my spreadsheet I have to check off one of two boxes each night next to "five leads generated"

A: Accomplished
B: Failed because I'm a lazy loser

Serious - that's what I have on my spreadsheet. Obviously, I hate checking box "B."

Your 20 point system holds you accountable for the day which is a fantastic thing to teach new agents. It's also a good thing to teach generating your own leads for next to no cost. This business is hard enough without adding expenses to it.

flatfive,

" I've never heard of this guy before... "

I am amazed by that statement.

Have you never read Life Insurance Selling. It is the most read mag in the industry. He has wrote for them for like 40 years. I knew who he was 3 weeks in the biz. What little island have you been on that you have never heard of Burt?

App count is not where the money is, app size is what matters.

http://www.lifeinsuranceselling.com

then click is this about insurance? It is a free mag, the mag is 80 years old surely you have read this mag.

" Just out of curiosity, what are the verifiable numbers that back up his claim to be a Master insurance salesman? "

LIFE MEMBER of MDRT.

What else needs to bee said? Have you ever been MDRT? If so you'd have heard him speak at their meetings.

http://www.mdrt.org

flatfive said:
John,

Maybe within your niche it's true that if they don't roll over immediately you are done and should just get out, but that is flat wrong in my market. Every prospect we see is about as well qualified as you are going to get and we assume they are in the buying mode. I could send just about anybody into those houses and they would sell about 25% just by sticking to a canned script and quoting a price. To get another 25% you have to know how to get the people to tell you what they want to buy. It's not a matter of coming at them from another angle or the stupid "get three no's before you give up" thing, it's a matter of figuring out what it is they DO want to buy. In my market, if you do that, you can get to 50% closing ratio fairly easily.

I definitely have points where I know I'm wasting my time and I'm better off to get out and move on to the next appointment, but it certainly isn't immediately upon them saying the first quote doesn't work for them.

Very true. My statement applies to health insurance. I'm not gonna stand toe to toe with any potential client who says he either doesn't need health insurance or doesn't need it now. I'm out the door in 2 seconds flat.

Saying that, I'm never in front of anyone unless it's a sale. I see people only to help them with their choices, but it's very well established over the phone that I'm coming out to fill out an application. Their time is valuable and so is mine. You think I'm going over plans for an hour at 7pm only to hear "this sound good....you have a card?" Bullcrap on that. I could be home with my family watching CSI.

My line to every client on the phone is this:

"I'll go with whatever method you prefer. I can either take your application over the phone or we can meet. Which would you rather do?"

An overwhelming majority want to do it over the phone. Rarely will someone will say "I'd rather meet with you." People would rather roll around in broken glass then have an insurance agent in their home.

Back