Question for Captive Agents Turned Independent?

Don Everest

I have about a million dollar book of business that is with the company I left. Still getting renewals. I am not supposed to flip this business and neither is my upline.

Although, it seems my upline is flipping my business. They are giving my list of clients to the new agents. Is there anything I can do to protect myself?

Should I just start flipping a few a week myself?

Should I contact the company(great american)?

I know it is part of being a captive agent but it is very frustrating.

Thanks for your help!

I would contact Great American and turn in your upline then I would send a letter to all my clients telling them that if they are contacted by this upline to contact you ASAP.

I have didn't have big renewals because we didn't get renewals on UHC which were a lot of my sales but the guy who trained me (and left with me) had big renewals.
The manager was pissed because my trainer sent a letter to all his clients to inform them that he left the company, but that was only done in response to the manager of GA sending his own letter to my trainers clients that he is now out of the business. My trainer just ended up switching a lot of the clients during AEP last year and still gets renewals on the other business from GA

I have about a million dollar book of business that is with the company I left. Still getting renewals. I am not supposed to flip this business and neither is my upline.

Although, it seems my upline is flipping my business. They are giving my list of clients to the new agents. Is there anything I can do to protect myself?

Should I just start flipping a few a week myself?

Should I contact the company(great american)?

I know it is part of being a captive agent but it is very frustrating.

Thanks for your help!

What makes you think that they are not supposed to flip it?

I'm not being smarmy, and I don't have a Great American contract in front of me, so I'm just curious. You are probably bound by the contract not to flip business, but are they?

The agency and every agent that worked there were all captive agents/career agents. They are not supposed to flip any business I know that for sure.

What they are doing is giving a list of my clients and are having new agents that have a different contract come and flip them.

So they still earn a commish, but aren't actually flipping them themselves.

I had the exact same problem yet you are having when I left Great American. If you can save your clients a lot of money then flip them. that's what I had to end up doing because my biz was being targeted like yours too.

As you move into your independent space more, lean on your brokerage provider (whoever you are with) to see if they can help you save some of your relationships. I'm sorry to hear your frustration.

Sheryl Brown / Ash Brokerage Corporation

Although I don't have of contract from that company, but it sounds pretty typical of a captive agency. They own the book of business not the writing agent.

If you don't have a non-compete agreement in place (it most likely was included in your contract) then I would contact by phone or in person every client and let them know you're still there insurance agent.

If you can put them into a better position then they're currently in, i would be replacing a lot of policies.

Bottom line check your contract - it would be the exception if they're not to be assigning those clients to an agent within the captive company. Its the company's responsibilty to service those clients. If you're no longer with the company you cannot add additional coverage or products from them to service those clients.

Back