question on going independant.

20% minimum (some states do have restrictions to be mindful of)... unless of course you are providing other benefits.

15% is not a bad deal if you are fronting leads or office space.

Let's face is... any reasonable GA has contracts close to 30% on many products. If you are with a GA that can't pay you 20%, they aren't doing any business.

Some street level contracts at 20%+ also offer lead credits based on production.

I think "The Rabbi" is in Florida. Pretty sure he does underage health. You should check with him and see what type of contracts he's got going. I've personally never done any business with him, but from his posts, he seems to be knowledgeable and honest.

So if you are working out of the home and providing your own leads what is a good commission?

If you are expecting training, 20% is pretty customary. If you are an experienced agent that is looking to recruit sub-agents and train them, 25%+ (production requirements may apply)

For example, a 30% contract with Time typically requires $1,000,000 of annual production. These requirements vary with different companies. Time is pretty liberal with their commissions.. 25% contract with only $100,000 AV.

If you are a new agent paying for your own leads, find a GA that offers support and training and a 20% contract is a good deal. Granted, you could get a 25% by becoming a GA yourself and signing a letter of intent, but if you don't have the knowledge to sell the products, 20% of something is EXTREMELY better than 25% of nothing.

When I recruit, I normally start agents around 20% with an increase in commission based upon production. Many GA's do this.

Last edited:
Back