Quests: Commercial Lines (worker's Comp) and GROUP Health Plan

El Capitan

Expert
Hello
I have been a licensed insurance agent since '07 and have been selling life insurance and med supps for the last few years (p/t on the side and still selling today). More recently, starting an employment placement company (temp staff) for highly educated professionals (masters to doctorate level). Just finishing up the workman's comp insurance this week. Everything else is a go and already have 6 professionals waiting to get started.

Looking at options to be able to offer health insurance to the employees and the best possible coverage.

My main question -
is there some type of a 'group-plan' that I can get enrolled in (or fall under) where I can make commission on all the participants enrolling in the plan?

I already have an insurance option (to offer my employees) falling under someone else's group plan.

Exploring any options that I might be able to offer the employees in my own company and ideally make commission in the process.

The bottom line is that I want to be able to offer the best coverage for my employees because I see this as one INCENTIVE ('sizzle') to bring people on board. If I can get a better (or best) plan and not make a commission that would be ok too. Open to any recoms.

Also for any commercial lines agents out there -
talk about difficulty getting WORKMAN'S COMP for a company like this. Ended up having to go the high risk pool until we get 2 years of history etc. From what I understand carriers don't want to get involved w/ START UPS of this nature (I applied to several of the main carriers for this industry) and many are even getting out of this type of coverage altogether -as I understand it atleast (dropping coverage in some states for temp employment agencies etc )...

this policy isn't set in stone yet and if any experts out there in this area might have some better alternatives or suggestions - then please let me know.

I figured would ask about this here on the forum before getting coverage as a last resort through the high risk pool......

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello
I have been a licensed insurance agent since '07 and have been selling life insurance and med supps for the last few years (p/t on the side and still selling today). More recently, starting an employment placement company (temp staff) for highly educated professionals (masters to doctorate level). Just finishing up the workman's comp insurance this week. Everything else is a go and already have 6 professionals waiting to get started.

Looking at options to be able to offer health insurance to the employees and the best possible coverage.

My main question -
is there some type of a 'group-plan' that I can get enrolled in (or fall under) where I can make commission on all the participants enrolling in the plan?

I already have an insurance option (to offer my employees) falling under someone else's group plan.

Exploring any options that I might be able to offer the employees in my own company and ideally make commission in the process.

The bottom line is that I want to be able to offer the best coverage for my employees because I see this as one INCENTIVE ('sizzle') to bring people on board. If I can get a better (or best) plan and not make a commission that would be ok too. Open to any recoms.

Also for any commercial lines agents out there -
talk about difficulty getting WORKMAN'S COMP for a company like this. Ended up having to go the high risk pool until we get 2 years of history etc. From what I understand carriers don't want to get involved w/ START UPS of this nature (I applied to several of the main carriers for this industry) and many are even getting out of this type of coverage altogether -as I understand it atleast (dropping coverage in some states for temp employment agencies etc )...

this policy isn't set in stone yet and if any experts out there in this area might have some better alternatives or suggestions - then please let me know.

I figured would ask about this here on the forum before getting coverage as a last resort through the high risk pool......

Thanks.

I do group only, not WC.

Seems to me that there are two questions here. 1. You can collect commission on a group that includes yourself. 2. As to whether there is a group carrier willing to write your group, that’s another issue. The carrier will want to see (among other things) an employer/employee relationship between you (employer) and the others (employees). That means you will be paying them, collecting taxes, etc. Many carriers shy away from groups like yours.

Does this answer your question(s)?

These are W2 employees.

Have never dealt w/ group plans and don't know much about them.

Was exploring whether there might be other options.

Thanks.

Regards

You can call me, I have been in that market for 25 years. PM me and I will talk to you in detail.

The following will be necessary info to know

1. What State or States will you be operating in.
  2. Will you be the employer of record.
  3. Will you pass the employer test. Did you Recruit the employee? Do you have the sole Right to Hire/Fire? Does the employee receive its wages from your company?
  4. What location & State was the employee hired.
  5. Do employees work from home, are they out of State? If so, Did they interview and accept the position in your home State.
  6. Are you licensed as a Temp Staffing Company or a Professional Employer Organization?
  7. Will the employees work under a term contract (3, 6 12 mos) and if so, what is the hiring process and does the Client have hire/fire authority?
  8. Will you assume the employment of any of the Client's current employees.
This is just a small amount of detail that is needed. Currently, ERISA and the States have been legislating the PEO business out of existence since 2003 and if you are assuming employees from a client then you are a PEO.

The other main thing will be to look at your standard contracts with clients, whom is your largest client, and what is the percent of revenue?

Start ups are not usually welcome in this arena for insurance and regulation to treat you fairly, unless you have extensive experience running this type of business and show extensive internal cost control systems.

This industry is tagged by insurance companies as an adverse risk and start ups generally have growing pains that do not promote wanting to take a risk.

You can call me, I have been in that market for 25 years. PM me and I will talk to you in detail.

The following will be necessary info to know

1. What State or States will you be operating in.
  2. Will you be the employer of record.
  3. Will you pass the employer test. Did you Recruit the employee? Do you have the sole Right to Hire/Fire? Does the employee receive its wages from your company?
  4. What location & State was the employee hired.
  5. Do employees work from home, are they out of State? If so, Did they interview and accept the position in your home State.
  6. Are you licensed as a Temp Staffing Company or a Professional Employer Organization?
  7. Will the employees work under a term contract (3, 6 12 mos) and if so, what is the hiring process and does the Client have hire/fire authority?
  8. Will you assume the employment of any of the Client's current employees.
This is just a small amount of detail that is needed. Currently, ERISA and the States have been legislating the PEO business out of existence since 2003 and if you are assuming employees from a client then you are a PEO.

The other main thing will be to look at your standard contracts with clients, whom is your largest client, and what is the percent of revenue?

Start ups are not usually welcome in this arena for insurance and regulation to treat you fairly, unless you have extensive experience running this type of business and show extensive internal cost control systems.

This industry is tagged by insurance companies as an adverse risk and start ups generally have growing pains that do not promote wanting to take a risk.

Twilight,
I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

This seems to be pretty much a done deal.
Been on the phone much of the day today trying to get this w/c issue ironed out. We have already gone through 2 different commercial lines brokers w/ the same answer twice.

Probably beating a dead horse at this point.

Back