Quite the Day in Virginia with the Earthquake and All.

Tigerhoo

Expert
Had a total of 6 claims(none covered). Two of which were collapsed chimneys falling on roofs, the others minor drywall damage.

When insuring a home,I offer some specifics regarding proximity to fault lines and discuss probability and have endorsed a considerable number.

I am curious as to how most other carriers handle this exposure. Obviously, it depends upon state, but generally speaking, if it is an option to endorse it your home policy, or buy as a stand alone? Was amazed to hear that some carriers don't make it available in VA.

Last edited:
tigerhoo, there should be many clients looking for earthquake insurance now. go get a photo of the colapsed chimney . put in in your newsletter, about government earthquake ins, at least have blown up photo's on your walls. maybe some of the calif guys will fill us in on quake ins. i didn't feel a thing in pa/nj. but i am a little shaking anyways... maybe that was when i was actually walking straight for a change.

tigerhoo, there should be many clients looking for earthquake insurance now. go get a photo of the colapsed chimney . put in in your newsletter, about government earthquake ins, at least have blown up photo's on your walls. maybe some of the calif guys will fill us in on quake ins. i didn't feel a thing in pa/nj. but i am a little shaking anyways... maybe that was when i was actually walking straight for a change.

No doubt a marketing opportunity and specifics to be well documented. Curious to hear form some California boys as well as others.

everywhere i went in nj/pa today, everyone is talking about the earthquake. everyone is talking about the nuke plants, in nj/ny/pa. i am looking for the fault line in pa. i figure if i buy land on the western side.....it maybe future beach front property. arnguy what do you think west side of I- 476, or I-81

Last edited:
everywhere i went in nj/pa today, everyone is talking about the earthquake. everyone is talking about the nuke plants, in nj/ny/pa. i am looking for the fault line in pa. i figure if i buy land on the western side.....it maybe future beach front property. arnguy what do you think west side of rt 476, or 81

Ironically, in VA the epi center was within 10 miles of Lake Anna Nuclear power plant and reports have been made that there is no damage. Bumpass is the home of this plant and the site of the epi center.

Earthquake insurance in Calif is optional coverage but it is mandatory to offer it with a fire insurance policy.

The CEA has 85% of the market share for quake insurance. That's a lot of business to write for agencies that niche market EQ; which is my employer. Google EQ Insurance California and look us up.

Earthquake insurance in Calif is optional coverage but it is mandatory to offer it with a fire insurance policy.

The CEA has 85% of the market share for quake insurance. That's a lot of business to write for agencies that niche market EQ; which is my employer. Google EQ Insurance California and look us up.

So this is more of a state endorsed program, not an individual offering by private insurers from reading on the surface?

I'm 140 miles from Louisa, VA , probably closer to 100 miles as the crow flies.

Friends around here say they felt it, even my close neighbors. I never felt a thing.

The epicenter of the quake has been pin-pointed to a graveyard outside of DC, where all of our Founding Fathers just rolled over in their graves.

Back