Rate Search Inc.

Re: rate search inc

How much did my guy make off me when he set up my harford variable life annuity? I gave him $1000.00 to open it up and it takes just $200.00 out of my checking every month. It started with a 250k death benefit and it grows a little each month. I believe there is a 7-10 year surrender charge. Please advise. I am currently 22.5 years old. It was opened up almost 2 years ago.

Thanks.

I doubt very seriously this is an annuity. It sounds like a Variable Universal Life policy (VUL). As far as what the guy made that sold it to you, that depends on the payout from his broker dealer and what the commissionable premium is. Just because you're paying $200 per month doesn't mean the entire amount is commissionable.

For example, a VUL with another carrier for a male age 20, would have a commissionable premium of about $1,100 for the first year. Assuming Hartford pays the broker dealer about 80% or so for the first year, your rep would have participated in $880 in commissions. Keep in mind, no broker dealer pays the full commission to the rep. He could be getting somewhere between 40%-90% of that $880. Again, that's only for the first year. After that, he gets a small servicing commission of probably 2%-4% of your premium ($4-$8 per month - of which goes to the broker dealer first and then he gets his cut of 40%-90%).

As you can see, it's not a ton of commission. The better question is why does a 20 year old purchase a VUL? Have you maxed out your 401k contributions along with Roth IRA contributions if you are eligible? If you haven't, then you shouldn't be contributing to a VUL. If he sold it to you claiming the ability to get tax-free income in the future, that's exactly what a Roth IRA is for.

I don't know your financial situation, but I'm willing to bet you aren't maxing out 401k and Roth contributions. If you are, congratulations! You are ahead of 99.99% of people your age.

I don't have a 401k but I do have a SEP. Is that the same thing? I put in my SEP every year what my cpa tells me to put in there.

If you're maxing out a SEP, then a VUL may be ok for you.

I do most of my business in the group market and I want to know what anyone thinks on marketing a flex premium deferred fixed annuity to an audience as a "safety net" for those you believe social security ( which is a large annuity ) won't be there for them in the same manner as today. I really like this product because the minimum contribution monthly is only $50 bucks making it a easy payroll deduction product. Talk to me gentleman on your thoughts.

Details, we need details.... Who are you using for this, and how is it set up? I'm familiar with using a Variable Annuity in a 401(k), but the fees involved leave the business is wide open being replaced by your local RR.

For some odd reason with the research I've done some agents really don't want to talk about the fact that it's life insurance. I think maybe it's more sexy if clients think it's a financial vehicle. I also think there's a stigma attached to life insurance.

But you're right - there's an infinite amount of annuity products. Right now I'm reading the lastest issue of my local insurance newletter and John Hancock has a new annuity - Venture Vision - with no surrender charges on withdrawls.

An annuity is a tax deffered savings vehicle, it is NOT life insurance, A Life insurance policy by law requires a porpotion of risk to the insurance company.

Back