Rated up for being in to good of shape?

Peelerinsurance.com said:
I looked on the rate sheet and could not find it...

YOU must be writing some fatass smokers.....from pg7....

TEST6.jpg

OK... in the underwriting guide.... BMI over 26, 25% rt up..... now, use normal logic..... an example is.... 5' 10" 177, just got a 25% rt up.... so... like I said 25 % for smoking... unless u are writing crack heads, speed freeks or or some other bean pole type client.... rate up

Underwriting has always varied by state. Assurant has many different underwriting guidelines depending on the state so it's difficult to talk about them in a forum like this. Aetna in MD doesn't rate up for smokers.

John... I submit to you that they do rt up in your state...... I looked at the guide and a bmi of 25.5 and above gets a rt up for smoking.... that bmi is extreamly light in relation to the reality of what someones weight is. Now true, you could say that Aetna dosent rt up for smoking... but the reality is that 9 times out of ten the client is getting rated up.... I only deal in the reality of the situation.... Its also legal to use deadly force in Texas if you are destroying my property, like TP'ing my house... however if I shot and killed you am going to jail.... lets deal in reality... or... in MD people weigh less than us dumb hick Texans..lol

Aenat positively does not rate up for smoking in Maryland. Period. I have no idea what underwriting guide you're looking at. I have never had a smoker rated and I have a fair amount of Aetna business on the books.

Aetna rates up for obesity in conjuction with smoking but you need to have a BMI of 31. That, again, is an obesity rating. People who aren't fat and don't smoke get no rate increase. And by the way, if your BMI is 31 you're fat.

I have no idea where you got that 25 BMI.

aetnasmokingcy4.jpg

I moved two smokers from Unicare to Aetna last month because of the increase that hit in Oct...and got no rate up and issued at what I ran.....

Speaking of Aetna....I guess this is about as fast as underwriting can get. Underwriting began at 3:06:23 and got approved at 3:06:48. I guess a 25 second approval ain't bad.

Requested Effective Date: 01/01/2007 Application Received Date: 12/21/2006
Coverage Type: Subscriber
Status History
Status Reasons Changed By Changed Date/Time
Approved B******* K******* 12/21/2006 3:06:48 PM EST
Medical Underwriting ******* K****** 12/21/2006 3:06:23 PM EST
USA Received ****** K******* 12/21/2006 3:03:15 PM EST
Application Logged L*** L*** 12/21/2006 9:09:43 AM EST
Application Submitted Online john petrowski 12/20/2006 4:02:54 PM EST
Pended for Agent ESignature C**** P*** 12/20/2006 10:14:22 AM EST
Application Started Online C**** P***** 12/20/2006 9:20:00 AM EST

that is one thing about aetna.....they have the fastest turn around in the biz.....

Back