Ready to Make the IA Leap

Greetings. I have been in the business as a captive for nearly 23 years and I am ready to take the leap to the IA world. I am tired of the captive world for many, many reasons. I am in my 40's and have small kids so I figure if I am ever going to make the leap I have to do it sooner rather than later. I am intrigued by the appointment process. I have heard that preferred carriers are gun shy to take on captives entering the IA world because we have non compete issues to deal with. There are ways to work around that without violating it, but getting appoinments are tough these days even if you have the experience and planning skills.......so I am told. I prefer to stay away from aggregators. I figure I started with zero 23 years ago and I made it work and I like having my own gig so to speak. I want the whole pie not just a piece. Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas?

An "upline" is a marketing organization (such as myself or others here) you would go through to get contracted with carriers. Your upline would also help you with product suggestions, quoting, case design etc.

Oops....Are doing Life or P & C?

Last edited:
I will keep that in mind but will try to get the appoinments on my own first. I have the ability to sell myself.....or at least I think I do :) If a carrier doesn't give me the time of day with 23 years experience, then I guess I have to utilize "upline"

upline is on health and life side,

what products you want to offer, that is the key

L&H or P&C

Primarliy P&C but also Life. I have 6&63 but don't really write much variable business. Cars and houses pay the bills. That will be my focus and I will dive into commercial, too. I have walked many many deals over the years as a captive. I am tired of giving money away. I like the renewals. it is 95% of my income.

P&S is what I do, I am part of SIAA, do yourself a favor and look into them.

If you want P&C, then dont worry abotu L&H right now, I have a financial planner I send all my L&H to and we split the commission....

Every company's policy is different, so you will spend alot of time learning that, but its all worth it.

Back