Reduce Group Healthcare Insurance Cost with Wellness Program

Leumi67

Hi.
In workplace where we are having more then 200 employees in single location. By investing in purchasing gym equipment as a health and wellness program , there is anyway that the health insurance cost will be reduce immediately without employee health evaluation?

It only makes a difference if employees follow through. You need to hold a gun to their heads and fire them if they don't prove lifestyle issues.

Doubtful. Assume for sake of discussion that you are not a manual rated group and that your costs are developed using some level of your claims experience. Now tell me, what will the gym do to decrease my health care claims, either in the short-term or long-term? If I were a betting man, I would bet a large pepperoni pizza that someone would hurt themselves first!

All kidding aside, to have any chance of success you will need more. The readers digest version is that you need a comprehensive program that includes; identification of risks, availability of resources to address those risks, incentives in place to reward compliance, and a process to track all activities. Identifiying the risk can come from a variety of sources including; medical claims, rx data, Health Risk Assessments, Bio-metrics, and others. Once you have this data, and it's in an actionable format, you can start to direct activities to address the issue. In particular, I like proactive programs that track medical activity that can then identify problems in the process (such as gaps in care, duplicate services, etc.) that have a high probability of causing a large claim. These type programs can actually provide the employer with a listing of each employee, their probability of incurring a claim, and what the projected cause and dollar amount could be. You can then track their level of compliance.

I realize this is a quick and short comment, but the point is that you need a comprehensive and detailed program in place if you want any kind of meaningfull impact on costs and the quality of the life for your employees.

By the way, VolAgent is correct that without follow through it will not work. However, you need to be careful with the "hold a gun to their heads and fire them" part. Forget for the moment that positive reinforcement works better, the firing part can get you in trouble very quickly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all
I will offer to every employee an Ipod with personal training program + tracking device - then I will shoot myself.
Yes you are right I need to come with good program and some how incentive plan for them to participate

By the way, VolAgent is correct that without follow through it will not work. However, you need to be careful with the "hold a gun to their heads and fire them" part. Forget for the moment that positive reinforcement works better, the firing part can get you in trouble very quickly.

Hope this helps.

Yes, both reward and punishment. And I understand there are a number of privately owned businesses that are getting very strict about lifestyle issues. You have to be in a position where you are willing to let the person go, but put it in the employee handbook and don't discriminate on a protected class.

Yes, both reward and punishment. And I understand there are a number of privately owned businesses that are getting very strict about lifestyle issues. You have to be in a position where you are willing to let the person go, but put it in the employee handbook and don't discriminate on a protected class.

I don't disagree with you in concept, but what I am concerned/confused about is the comment "prove lifestyle issues." What is lifestyle issue? What I take away from this is that "the employee must prove that he/she is living or practicing a healthy lifestyle, i.e., eating healthy, avoiding things that could be detrimental, etc.

Is this what you mean? Also, if it is, do you have groups that are doing this now? If yes, could you share more details.

I suggest you go to a gym, any gym, and try and find space to move around in January.

By the 2nd week of February you will have the place all to yourself.

Same thing would happen if you offer a gym in the workplace.

I worked for a company years ago that put a gym on site. Nice equipment. Lot's of people used it at first.

Within a year it was a storage room.

Latest posts

Back