Reprocussions Already Visible

G

I'm getting more and more frustrated with the proposed "reform" for insurance. Even the expectation of removing underwriting for health insurance is affecting my medicare supplement clients - even though Obama, in all his "wisdom," assured that it would not affect the elderly at all. Companies have been going up on their rates preemptively since election - one company boosted its Plan A over 102%. I had to call clients, inform them - Some could not pass the underwriting for a new plan and are going straight Medicare because they can't afford the supplement every month. For some, this is feasible, but I have others that will be in dire straights because of this.

I am exhausted emotionally from knowing that not only are my clients going to be paying way more out of pocket, thus hurting them, but it also shows me that my ability to help them is becoming increasingly reliant on the government. This infuriates me - nothing I do in a private sector when it comes to helping, counseling, and providing good financial advice should EVER rely on the government. I try to be optimistic, but I fear the outlook is grim on any clients - not just mine.

What are your experiences thus far with the preemptive government affect on rates? What do you think is going to change for medicare supplements come the future?

Loyal American is the company that's gone up so much. Two clients so far have received noticed for 102% increases. One could argue that all companies adjust their rates up to compensate for inflation, but 102% is a bit much for an inflation increase. UoO has also adjusted some of their plans upwards of 70%. Again, too much for just an inflation increase - especially since they adjusted just last year - so there's no compensation for previous year inflation either.

Thoughts?

Loyal American is the company that's gone up so much. Two clients so far have received noticed for 102% increases. One could argue that all companies adjust their rates up to compensate for inflation, but 102% is a bit much for an inflation increase. UoO has also adjusted some of their plans upwards of 70%. Again, too much for just an inflation increase - especially since they adjusted just last year - so there's no compensation for previous year inflation either.

Thoughts?

I haven't seen TX rates, but that seems nuts.
Stay away from Plan A. Show your clients Plan G or N. It will be a larger pool, with cost sharing, therefore more stable rates.
Good luck out there!

Loyal American.........oxymoron?

Obamacare won't affect medicare rates THAT much, there must be something else going on.

Obamacare is not supposed to impact Medicare supplement at all. There will still be medical underwriting after 2013

Back