Response to "I Need to Think About It"

when I first started I heard a lot of "I need to think about it." something that I would do would help me get a lot of my sales...

client "I need to think about it"

me "about how long do you think you will need?"

client "i don't know couple of days i guess"

me "ok well let's go on and put this into underwriting cause it takes them at least a week to even decide if you even have to opportunity to get coverage. So we can let them be looking at you while you decide on them."

if they say a couple of weeks I would respond with,

"ok we can set your effective date for a month away. Is a month going to be enough time for you to think about it?"

Still working for EMG?

I ask because thats the EXACT thing they teach you to say at their Boot Camp, to all their new agents. I assume NAA does too. It seems like a lousy thing to do to people and for your business in general to tell them, oh just pay now and if you change your mind cancel.

Last edited:
I need to think about it is often a cover up for "I am broke and / or dont want to pay for it"

This is particuarly true in those with large gaps in coverage.

I believe it was said earlier but buyers and non buyers need identified fast. Look for red flags. Test the waters but sometimes you have to simply move on.

You are right that you can do a lot to avoid the situation where the prospect wants to "think about it". However, no matter how good a sales person you are that you can necessarily always avoid coming across a prospect making that comment.
I think the real test of your skills are in how you respond to the comment. Which many in this thread have already talked about.

Prospect: "I want to think about it"

Me: "Thats great. Now when you are ready this is what happens next"...

Then I explain the process of taking the app, underwriting, payment, info about their policy, the benefits, and what rights they have, to make changes, "if" they get approved. I then finish with telling them they always have me to call if they need anything. Any questions? Sound good? And then presume to write the app. If you get any problems address them, ask for the app again, and if no then ask for a time to call back and find out if they want it or not.

Sometimes people just need to be asked more than once. Some just don't know what to say so they say "I'll think about it", and others just need some time to digest everything.

Last edited:
Absolutely, because it goes deeper than the surface.

Think of it this way, if it was an internet lead they already thought about it. If it was a cold call (you got interested) or referral, they already thought about it also, so there is definitely an underlying issue that you can expose to turn the outcome around and back in your favor.

However, no matter how good a sales person you are that you can necessarily always avoid coming across a prospect making that comment.
I think the real test of your skills are in how you respond to the comment. Which many in this thread have already talked about.

Prospect: "I want to think about it"

Me: "Thats great. Now when you are ready this is what happens next"...

Then I explain the process of taking the app, underwriting, payment, info about their policy, the benefits, and what rights they have, to make changes, "if" they get approved. I then finish with telling them they always have me to call if they need anything. Any questions? Sound good? And then presume to write the app. If you get any problems address them, ask for the app again, and if no then ask for a time to call back and find out if they want it or not.

Sometimes people just need to be asked more than once. Some just don't know what to say so they say "I'll think about it", and others just need some time to digest everything.

This was well put.

What is your response when an insurance prospect says "I need to think about it" to overcome this stall?

IMO... most people say they want to think about it because they have not heard enough to make a decision. I think it falls back to qualifying your customer better. If you find their pain or problem you will have many more ways to back them into a corner when they use the think about response. You need to ask the right questions at the beginning of your pitch to invoke the right responses which will net you a much higher percentage of people who will buy!

Back