Revisiting the "portability" issue with BCBS plans

Re: re-visiting the "portability" issue with BCBS plans

I'LL POST ON CAPS TO DISTINGUISH MY WORDS FROM YOURS.

Alright, so I see this thread and no, sorry, i havent had the time to post in the past couple days. First off, I based my initial advise or statement on two things, what customer care tells you when you call in (always note the date, time and who you spoke to) and what the area marketing rep from BCBS of SC told me.

Secondly, I dont see anywhere in my contract where it says thy can cancel it if I move.
STATE LAW SAYS THEY CAN (AS MY FIRST POST STATED (TOWARD THE BOTTOM) AND SO IF YOUR CONTRACT SAYS NOTHING, THEN I WOULD THINK STATE LAW PREVAILS. BUT, IN MY CONTRACT, IT SPECIFICALLY STATES THEY WILL NOT CANCEL....(WELL, YOU KNOW WHAT MY CONTRACT SAYS)....SO IT THAT CASE THATS WHAT PREVAILS I WOULD THINK.

It does however explain that if you are outside of your service area (SC) you could be balance billed.
MY CONTRACT/USERGUIDE, AND ALL THE BCBS'S I KNOW OF, SPECIFICALLY SAY IF YOU STAY WITHIN THE PPO NETWORK (REGARDLESS OF ANYWHERE IN THE US), YOU CANNOT BE BALANCED BILLED.
Finally, I have several clients who have moved to other states and had no problems - even some with significant claims. ANY WHO MOVED AND DID HAVE "PORTABILITY" PROBLEMS?

Do ou have any particular states you are concerned about?
NO. BUT MY MAIN "REQUEST" OR QUESTION , WAS THE FOURTH LINE OF MY ORIGINAL POST (WHERE I THINK I WROTE PLEASE COMMENT....). THANKS.

p.s. I WOULD THINK THAT THE ULTIMATE, FINAL ANSWER IS IN THE WORDS THAT I POSTED FROM MY CONTRACT, RIGHT?, REGARDLESS OF WHAT CUSTOMER SERVICE "SAYS" (AND I WROTE IN MY ORIGINAL POST WHAT THEY SAY). THEN AGAIN, PERHAPS THOSE CONTRACT WORDS ARE AMBIGUOUS...I GUESS THEY CAN MEAN MANY THINGS.

perhaps you should consult an attorney

I think this guy is an attorney and is looking for advice on how to fight a situation.

His posts are confusing and his points of reference are ambiguous. He wants information yet still refuses to identify the state or plan details.

i dont really have time to type but wanted to say - you are right about the balance billing i mispke (over cautiously) i have never had a problem with the portability, if you look in the contract, relocating outside the service area is not given as a reason for them being able to terminate the contract, the fact that you can call customer service today and do a change of address (not just ask them if it's possible) should tell you that it is a non issue but again i have had several clients move and used their benefits with no issues. i really think it boils down to costs being more here than many other places, for instance i have had clients on humana move to il, ga and va and their rates actually went down. if you are worried about it i would ask your agent to get it in writing from someone at bcbs.

I just went through this recently with a client moving to another state. I called and talked to BCBS, VP of CS, and he explained that BCBS is really 50 different organizations and that if one moves their residence to a different state, they can qualify for a HIPPA policy or go through UW for a new policy. We also called the state he was moving to and received the same answer. Perhaps these 2 states are unique.

I just went through this recently with a client moving to another state. I called and talked to BCBS, VP of CS, and he explained that BCBS is really 50 different organizations and that if one moves their residence to a different state, they can qualify for a HIPPA policy or go through UW for a new policy. We also called the state he was moving to and received the same answer. Perhaps these 2 states are unique.

No these two states aren't unique. Most if not all BCBS's are domestic in the states they are domiciled in and one of the key words this consumer is using if PPO. If you understand what a PPO is then you most certainly have your answer. Blue Card is suppose to go off without a hitch but I've had clients tell me when traveling that they have been balanced billed and had to fight for the benefits they are afforded in their state of residency and PPO network. One fellow I know here in Florida has kept his BCBSGA for quite a few years, but he goes back to GA for Doctor's appt and keeps a residence there. When I sell a BCBSFL policy and the client asks, If I move can I keep the same policy? I say know that you'll have to transfer it if uninsurable or apply for a new one in the state you are moving to if you're still insurable.

I'm unaware that someone moving from BX in one state to BX in another could qualify for a HIPAA plan. Moving to another state is not a HIPAA qualifying event.

Back