RSSA / Registered Social Security Analyst

Packerland

Guru
Has anyone taken this course if you have I understand the final exam is four hours which is kind of amazing. I am wondering is this basically theory or specific numbers and percentages at certain ages etc. as far as the final exam.

I have taken the first four modules and thus far been pretty straightforward.

Has anyone taken this course if you have I understand the final exam is four hours which is kind of amazing. I am wondering is this basically theory or specific numbers and percentages at certain ages etc. as far as the final exam.

I have taken the first four modules and thus far been pretty straightforward.

I thought about taking this course but not sure if it will be worth it. Do you think it will help get more insurance clients?

I thought about taking this course but not sure if it will be worth it. Do you think it will help get more insurance clients?
I thought long and hard as to if I should take this course. The decision to pursue it really broke down to dual objectives of expanding my knowledge base and enhancing my business's value proposition. Given my focus on Medicare and other senior products, gaining specialized knowledge in Social Security planning presented an opportunity to deepen my engagement with current and prospective clients who are navigating the complexities of retirement planning.

The RSSA certification would not only augment my personal knowledge base but would also position the business as a comprehensive resource for clients at or approaching retirement age. It's about more than just selling insurance products; it's about offering solutions that address a range of financial concerns, including Social Security, which is a critical component of most retirement plans.

By understanding Social Security, including the optimal timing for benefits collection and how it intersects with other retirement income streams, I can offer more tailored, informed advice. This, in turn, could lead to higher client satisfaction, stronger trust, and, ultimately, more referrals from clients who value the comprehensive guidance we provide.

Additionally, this knowledge could facilitate more meaningful collaborations with financial planners and other professionals in the retirement planning ecosystem, who might seek out our expertise for their clients' insurance needs, further expanding our referral network.

While the direct impact on attracting new insurance clients will not be immediate, the indirect benefits—through enhanced service offerings, increased client satisfaction, and stronger professional network enhancements present a compelling case for the value of the RSSA certification to my business.

I realize that I was pretty long winded in my response but as you can see I elected to do this for many reasons.

Caveat, not an agent.

In the last few months I have noticed some articles about the Social Security Administration aggressively pursuing individuals for repayment of amounts the SSA considers to be overpayments.

I wonder if that might not indicate increased future liability exposure for insurance agents choosing to offer professional Social Security counseling to clients?

Caveat, not an agent.

In the last few months I have noticed some articles about the Social Security Administration aggressively pursuing individuals for repayment of amounts the SSA considers to be overpayments.

I wonder if that might not indicate increased future liability exposure for insurance agents choosing to offer professional Social Security counseling to clients?

Let's just hope they've gotten better at record keeping. When I was a kid my dad had/has an eye disease which makes him legally blind. When my parents divorced, child support was paid through SSI due to my father's disability. Fast forward to my senior year in high school, when I turned 18 they stopped paying. I notified them of my still being in high school and they paid until I graduated.

Now fast forward about 10 years (I believe it was 1998) and I get a letter in the mail saying they overpaid me by about $3,100 and to send them payment. Of course I wanted more proof than just a letter saying I owed it. I made an appointment with the Social Security office. While there I asked for them to show documentation of what I should have been paid versus what I was actually paid. They couldn't produce it while I was there so they mailed it to me several weeks later. After receiving the documentation, it was clear they actually underpaid me by about $3,100.

I prepared a spreadsheet and made another appointment with SSA. After explaining the the worker that they actually underpaid me, she was adamant that was not possible. I presented her a copy of their documentation and the spreadsheet. She was still adamant that it wasn't possible and was going to have to get a supervisor involved and have to get back to me at a later date. I don't recall how long it took, but I eventually received a check in the mail. of course they didn't pay any penalty or interest like the government expects us to pay for underpayment of taxes.

I see this advertised quite a bit through Facebook groups I participate in. It seems like they run large seminars for Social Security planning. The insurance is a natural progression of it.

My 60-65 yr old clients get those “ free” social security workshop mailers at the local college all the time . They never say who’s teaching the class . It’s 100% an annuity/medicare agent no doubt .

I also thought about taking the Social Security certification program, but ended up deciding against it. My only "intersection" with Social Security now is in explaining to people how to enroll in Medicare A/B, and the IRMAA costs. While some enrollments go smoothly - others are a mess. I don't think I would want to take on any potential added liability in providing information that may not be what Social Security actual does with benefits. And...since I don't offer any complementary products that would generate income for me (life insurance, annuities, etc), it doesn't seem worth it. In a general sense, I think the area is a better fit with a Financial Planner or Investment Adviser (CFP).

My 60-65 yr old clients get those “ free” social security workshop mailers at the local college all the time . They never say who’s teaching the class . It’s 100% an annuity/medicare agent no doubt .
This would have nothing to do with whether getting the RSSA designation is worthwhile.

Back