RSSA / Registered Social Security Analyst

Not sure what the courses for the certification teach, but the biggest way to be able to help someone (and potentially benefit your career) is through advising them on the best time and way to begin their SS benefits. Several years ago a firm came out with software that shows how to maximize SS benefits. I believe it was called Social Security Timing. There are likely other variations of this now. It's used more in the financial/retirement planning arena.

I'm beginning to get emails from FMO's about the certification. Seems like a big push has begun. The certification mean almost nothing to the consumer at large. Maybe if it is marketed well to the general consumer like CFP is, it could be worthwhile. Having the letters RSSA on your card will mean absolutely nothing to the consumer without substantial marketing of it. I would think using the software mentioned above would be much more beneficial than the certification if a person is working the retirement planning market.

Not sure what the courses for the certification teach, but the biggest way to be able to help someone (and potentially benefit your career) is through advising them on the best time and way to begin their SS benefits.
Haven't seen the software you mentioned but have seen others through the years.

Life Companies have been using SS benefits in their marketing for years. The one I use is with Columbus Life. They offer a complete marketing kit for SS max.

No need for a designation or course.

I agree that the letters themselves mean nothing, but that's not the point.

When my old Bishop gave me his business card for his physical therapy practice, he had five sets of initials after his name. I had no idea what they meant. I just knew I'd be in good hands if I had to use him one day.

The image of having the dedication to take multiple courses to add to one's credentials is the marketing play here, not "world wide recognition of some marks."

The question then becomes is if it's worth it at all to add to one's total academic image. To be introduced as a "Registered Social Security Advisor"... well, I wouldn't want to lead with that one, but that's me.

I think it may have value as a secondary designation, not a primary one.

Not sure what the courses for the certification teach, but the biggest way to be able to help someone (and potentially benefit your career) is through advising them on the best time and way to begin their SS benefits. Several years ago a firm came out with software that shows how to maximize SS benefits. I believe it was called Social Security Timing. There are likely other variations of this now. It's used more in the financial/retirement planning arena.

I'm beginning to get emails from FMO's about the certification. Seems like a big push has begun. The certification mean almost nothing to the consumer at large. Maybe if it is marketed well to the general consumer like CFP is, it could be worthwhile. Having the letters RSSA on your card will mean absolutely nothing to the consumer without substantial marketing of it. I would think using the software mentioned above would be much more beneficial than the certification if a person is working the retirement planning market.
(Caveat, NOT an agent)

Interesting post. If insurance has similarities to the manufacturing business, I think agents might need to be careful not to just get sucked up into the "craze of the month" or the "craze of the year".

Back