Sales Manager at Western Southern Life

From what little I know about them...W&S is an established and reliable company. Diverse products, although not a big player in the upper face amounts market. A household name to many.

Something tells me internal replacement is common.

Last edited:
The salary question is hard to answer. It definitely depends on the total comp plan.

Personally, I wouldn't do it for less than a $50,000 base (assuming there is a good incentive plan). I have seen many Sales Managers with captive outfits make in the $50k-$80k range depending upon the company, location, and experience.

We need more info to give you a good range...

Western Southern is actually one of the most reputable companies in the industry and if you churn and burn you will be terminated. The only time a policy is replaced is when in the 80's that the client was sold a UL and it becomes underfunded and is about to lapse or when the client takes a loan out on their ul and chose not to pay back the interest. Let's see loose coverage or replace with a no lapse ul? Sounds like replace would be better and you have to have 3 reasons that you replace that policy. They have fired so many agents from other companies that come in and do that.

Western Southern is actually one of the most reputable companies in the industry and if you churn and burn you will be terminated. The only time a policy is replaced is when in the 80's that the client was sold a UL and it becomes underfunded and is about to lapse or when the client takes a loan out on their ul and chose not to pay back the interest. Let's see loose coverage or replace with a no lapse ul? Sounds like replace would be better and you have to have 3 reasons that you replace that policy. They have fired so many agents from other companies that come in and do that.

I have replaced dozens of Western Southern policies. Their Headquarters is right down the street from me in Cinci OH. Truth of the matter is that 1/2 the people that have their policies have had an agent take the cashvalue of an existing policy to fund another. To say this doesnt happen is simply wrong.

Western Southern, like many, was a home service company that moved into the ordinary side of things. A very close friend of mine who was a former DM who interviewed for a VP position at their home office basically told me that their contract was screwed. He stated there was a lot of turnover and as a result, a lot young and unqualified people achieved management positions.

From what I've picked up from him, they were a good home service company and went from that to targeting the middle class. The problem with that, he said, was that they didn't have the administrative capabilities and home office support to underwrite (in a timely manner) the larger policies that they were pushing their agents to sell.

I turned down an interview as an agent over there a few weeks ago. If they really want you as a sales manager, maybe they'll toss you a 1000/wk guarantee, but I'd be surprised.

Regardless, post your personal results and let others on the forum judge from your experiences.

When I worked there in 2001 the manager told me he was making about 60 k per year. I had run in to him the other day and he is still managing the same branch.

Back