Sell the Need or Sell the Want???

In selling you first do a fact find and identify the "need". Once established you then sell "benefits" The benefits provided by a policy will normally give different degrees of satisfaction to different people. The fact find will point you in the direction of which "benefits" are the most suitable to the client. Focus on these and explain why the benefits describe meet the "needs" of the client. Seek agreement that the benefits will meet the aspirations of the client and they are affordable. Then close the sale.

First of all, this thread is six years old.

Secondly, I disagree. Lots of folks need things, but it doesn't mean they buy. I want to know what they want.

If you sell life you'll hear "I want to make sure my family is taken care of." Or "I want to know my family will have enough money to bury me."

If somebody wants something, they'll buy it. If you're at the right place at the right time and they like you, you'll be the person they buy it from.

Quick story. My wife and I decided to get our son a cell phone. We went to the AT&T store and talked to a guy about it. In the end, I said "well, let's just think about it". My wife and I talked about it and two days later I went back and got one from a different salesperson. In and out in 15 minutes.

For some reason I got to thinking about it all later. We had already made the decision to buy before we walked in the store the first time. So why didn't we?

The first salesperson didn't listen to what we wanted. He tried to upsell us on benefits of a different phone. Just a lot of fluff. Plus he didn't smile, not one time. I didn't like him.

When I went back, I told the salesperson (a different one) what I wanted. They went to the back, got what I wanted, added him to our contract and sent me on my way.

Sell em what they they want.

If they're a logical and analytical person, sell the need.

If they're an emotional or empathetic person, sell the want.

The hard part is figuring out which blend they are.

Most prospects buy in their own time for their own reasons. They buy what they want rather than what they need. It's a matter of their priorities, not yours.

I teach agents how to find prospects that want the kind of insurance they sell, now. The prospects must be ready, willing, and able to buy. They must make a conditional commitment to do business if you can meet their requirements.

It's called High Probability Prospecting and it's very exacting. It's not easy to learn and it is expensive.

I can demonstrate what you NEED all day long but if you don't WANT it you won't buy it even if you agree with the NEED.

I know I have said this before on here, but a great sales presentation is a natural flowing conversation that results in a sale.

If you are having the same conversation as the client, you will have a far greater chance to meet their needs. If you are simply waiting to talk, you will more than likely miss the sale.

I can demonstrate what you NEED all day long but if you don't WANT it you won't buy it even if you agree with the NEED.

Nailed it.

Unless you show them what they want they will not buy. Nothing wrong with showing them what they want and then suggesting an alternative.

I know this is a life insurance thread started by someone I respect. Too bad he is no longer a part of this forum.

My market is now primarily Medicare. Most ask for a plan F and I show them that. But I also introduce plan G and explain the difference.

Most say something like "I'd have to be a damn fool to buy F".

And then they buy G.

But I never "sold" them anything.

If they're a logical and analytical person, sell the need.

If they're an emotional or empathetic person, sell the want.

The hard part is figuring out which blend they are.

All buying decisions are emotionally based. If you think that it's about the 'logic'... then you simply have more emotion invested in that line of thinking. :)

Back