Selling AFLAC Insurance

My great grandmother, who is in her 90s has worked for AFLAC for around 30 years. They keep hiring new agents and literally giving them her accounts to work, apparently to set up someone to take her place when/if she retires or dies. She'll probably outlive us all. I wouldn't wanna work there just because of seeing them give her book of business away multiple times. My family owns a sawmill, they've sent new agents to the mill 3 times as if we had no agent that said they were taking over her accounts without informing her. It's rather hilarious every time they do it honestly, all her customers call her and ask why they're sending a new agent, I'd say 99% of the insurance she has on the books will cancel when shes gone, they just buy it because they love her.

I mean, really though, would you wanna work for a company that gives away an agents book of business over and over because they think they might die soon?

I work for AFLAC in la. yes the market down here is covered, they do offer good products,but as other's have said too many agents in one area, "your the fifth aflac in here today" is common, some will succeed but 95% will not, I am looking now at state farm or ????,
I do want to make a little money but B2B, door to door is not my thing, I want to help people with there needs That is why I chose the insurance career. To me helping people is the goal. If I make 35k a yr I live simple so that is plenty for me.

wish you all well ken

Last month, I was recruited by AFLAC.

I've received a lot of good insight with the forum. Most posts say to be independent, not captive. I'd hate to work for someone else (eg, captive company), give up my book of business when I go independent, and have to start over, in lieu of getting training.

And, that's the long story short. Do I regret signing with AFLAC? After reading the horror stories, I'm beginning to think I will. My thought is that AFLAC would just be a lead in, but not 100% of my income.

Any helpful advice from the gallery?

AFLAC will own your business and they can take your accounts anytime they want. Even if the account is happy with their agent if you have not written new business in the account within 24 months, your state will give the account to someone else. Many times you sell everybody starting out and there is no new business to write. The new agent screws up the account and you lose the renewals :embarrassed:

Your district and regional manager will not back you up either if a state manager wants the account.

I work for AFLAC in la. yes the market down here is covered, they do offer good products,but as other's have said too many agents in one area, "your the fifth aflac in here today" is common, some will succeed but 95% will not, I am looking now at state farm or ????,
I do want to make a little money but B2B, door to door is not my thing, I want to help people with there needs That is why I chose the insurance career. To me helping people is the goal. If I make 35k a yr I live simple so that is plenty for me.

wish you all well ken
I got into selling insurance for that reason -to help others. I experienced a hard time and still am with get laid off from the job from an injury and having the workers comp jerk me around till I got a lawyer and in the meantime I wondered what if I had gotten the AFLAC when it was offered maybe I would have had some protection...
I also wonder if anyone knows if there is a regulator or watchdog who goes after shady practises against the insurance agents from their employers..
I had to bleed rocks to get money to get my license so I could work for AFLAC and was excited about going to work for them and to possible help others..Well it seems AFLAC prefers to help themselves to what helps them and forget about you.
They wasted my time and really I should go look for another job in insurance but I have wasted so much time and most are on straight commission so I may just be spinning my wheels. By the way yes I am not working for them.
I wanted to sell supplemental insurance to help the worker who could very easily wind up out on the streets if they lose their jobs Where I live the unemployment is 12 percent and some say in this part of the state it is 20 percent.
AFLAC has a miserable reputation and I wished I had seen this site before I wasted all that time and money.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My great grandmother, who is in her 90s has worked for AFLAC for around 30 years. They keep hiring new agents and literally giving them her accounts to work, apparently to set up someone to take her place when/if she retires or dies. She'll probably outlive us all. I wouldn't wanna work there just because of seeing them give her book of business away multiple times. My family owns a sawmill, they've sent new agents to the mill 3 times as if we had no agent that said they were taking over her accounts without informing her. It's rather hilarious every time they do it honestly, all her customers call her and ask why they're sending a new agent, I'd say 99% of the insurance she has on the books will cancel when shes gone, they just buy it because they love her.

I mean, really though, would you wanna work for a company that gives away an agents book of business over and over because they think they might die soon?
God bless her for all her hard work and hope she enjoys retirement whenever that is ..This situation I can understand them taking away some of her policies considering her age etc..I also can see how the customer would prefer her and they should have that option..One more thing that AFLAC should not be ignoring is the customers wishs.
Glad to hear she had a success story.

Last edited:
They don't pay. Be careful. I own my own P&C agency and took AFLAC on as a side sell. After a months of putting them in front of of my clients many of whom bought the product. One of which was a business with several hundred employees they told me my appointment application was filled out incorrectly. As a result the accounts were assigned to the district manager who got the commissions. Guess what the district manager was the person that filled out the application. He has since been promoted.

Once or twice a year a new district manager and representative come in and ask why we don't sell more of their product. I tell them and say when I get paid for what I did sell maybe then I will think about it. I then throw them out.

That is messed up but that is also only one DM that did that.
I have been with Aflac for a couple of months now and have been paid multiple times. If the applications need correction, it can be a pain to get it all settled and fixed. Some policies take longer than others but on certain policies, I have been paid within 3 days of making the sale.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I am considering a career selling for AFLAC and would like feedback from anyone who has worked with this company. Thanks.

I am currently working for Aflac as a second job. I am also a bartender and am trying to get out of the industry. Getting started, it isn't easy and you have to work hard.

I don't have any complaints as of now. I have already sold multiple policies working part time. If you work hard every day and give it 100%, you should do fine.

I will also tell you this. Sales isn't for everyone. I'm still deciding if I want to turn this into a career rather than a second job. It isn't easy but it pays well.

Last edited:
I dont have a license and I know not to deal with them.... The interview process made me very cautious about them.... there is something said about a very high turnover rate that they constantly have to interview people... First I received an email that they have seen my resume and that I fit their criteria, but they never said for what position, I was hoping either investigations or paralegal because that is my background. So I go to the interview and I come to find out its a meeting, but when you view the email it says interview. I digress, you start noticing 20 people come in all for the same position(s) because its not determined how many there are...After the presentation and the annoyance of this intermeeting process and the freaking quacking duck every two minutes. I go back to the lobby and speak to the secretary in spanish and ask if she works for aflac she explains that the location is a Regis facility so they rent space there but are not located there. Apparently they rent out the conference room twice a day three times a week and have been doing this for over a year. Let's review that 20*2*3*52= 6240 candidates. Now you have 6240 candidates and your one of the top insurance companies and you have a retention issue that reflects on management???

Back