Selling AFLAC Insurance

Wow, guess I've been under a rock, I though AFLAC was a decent company:err:

Aflac is o.k. to sell as an add on but it is very tough to do it as a primary and survive. The problem is not their product but the fact that they have recruited thousands of agents who in some communities have called on the same businesses over and over.

I am considering a career selling for AFLAC and would like feedback from anyone who has worked with this company. Thanks.
I am a person who recently got caught up in the hoopla and am also learning. I loved the concept of the supplemental insurance and how it can help those in need but when I was hired I jumped thru all the hoops for them and they dragged their feet on me . I didn't know their reputation and am sorry that I didn't investigate further. You can PM if you want to talk further. I am not into openly bashing since I wasn't dissed badly but enough to sting. If you are new you need to make 20 comments before PMing anyone:twitchy:

I am looking at signing on with AFLAC.

Is AFLAC captive or not? I read posts that they were, but my recruiter says that they are not.

Also, the Regional Manager said that in my first year, I can realistically make $45K in Indiana- which seems like a reasonable figure, but far less than what other AFLAC recruits are saying their Regional Managers are telling them ($100-$200K).

Treeves,

What other firms did you interview? If you just took the first thing you saw with AFLAC without looking around, you are doing yourself a disservice. This is your career, take control.

Is AFLAC captive or not? I read posts that they were, but my recruiter says that they are not.

No, they are not.

Also, the Regional Manager said that in my first year, I can realistically make $45K in Indiana- which seems like a reasonable figure, but far less than what other AFLAC recruits are saying their Regional Managers are telling them ($100-$200K).

Possible, absolutely. The norm, no. My personal feelings, the odds of making it in the insurance business are supposely around 10% (90% failure within 3 years). This business is tough, the good news, if you have a proven prospecting strategy and you work it every day from 9am to 5pm seeing people or fighting to see people, the odds of success are near 100%. However, AFLAC stacks the odds against you due to their low payouts and market saturation.

If it was me starting out with no insurance or sales experience (and I don't know your background), I would find a quality life carrier to train me for the first few years (MassMutual, Guardian, NML, NYL, Ohio Nat'l). If you are serious about making it in this business, I would look up those carriers and find one with a quality local agency. I believe your odds and first year income will be much higher if you put in the "sweat equity".

Thanks for the advice. Long story short, I own a B2B internet marketing company that at one time, had five employees. For 12 of the 14 years, business was pretty good. Business tanked the past two years, and my income went down from $142K to $38K- so I've been on both sides of the income spectrum.

Before going into marketing in my own business, I was a territory Underwriting and Marketing Manager for 12 years and have served both exclusive and independent agents. During my tenures there, I spent a good deal of time in agent offices.

Last month, I was recruited by AFLAC. That was before I found this forum. Since I was experienced in selling in the B2B space, I thought the supplemental insurance was a good fit for me. Plus, I don't have to wait until their health contract renewal to sell to them. Then, once I was in their office, I could also cross sell into Health and Commercial P&C.

After reading in the forums, I'd eventually like to expand my business to market individual products (life, health, home and auto). I have both my Life, Health & Accident, and Property & Casualty license.

To date, I've signed on with Golden Rule and AFLAC, and have a health carrier pending appointment.

I've received a lot of good insight with the forum. Most posts say to be independent, not captive. I'd hate to work for someone else (eg, captive company), give up my book of business when I go independent, and have to start over, in lieu of getting training.

And, that's the long story short. Do I regret signing with AFLAC? After reading the horror stories, I'm beginning to think I will. My thought is that AFLAC would just be a lead in, but not 100% of my income.

Any helpful advice from the gallery?

Last edited:
if you use aflac as a lead in, expect to hear "you are the 5th agent to stop in this week, thanks but no thanks (business owner pulls out a stack of aflac agent business card and tells you he collects them for fun).."

or "wow I signed up with them 3 years ago, the original agent left, the next agent stopped by once, and I have not seen any one since." (the first and second agent wrote everything in the account and there is nothing left)

or my favorite --- "there was an aflac agent in here 30 minutes ago, don't you guys have territories???"

Bottom line:

AFLAC is a nice tool in the toolkit. For supplemental, add Colonial. You'll probably find that you sell more Colonial after comparing plans. You're most likely to sell AFLAC when the receptionist thinks The Duck is "cute". Hey, whatever works.

If you're working in the group market (AFLAC's market), I'd recommend two supplemental carriers, three or four individual carriers, and a slate of group carriers.

You will not make a good living selling AFLAC (or Colonial)alone, period.

My .02.

The short of it, get a job, its too hard to make it without some income. As I have found most companies already have benefits in place and to get one to change can sometimes be very hard.

For me, Colonial Life has been the better company.

"Do you miss me yet", G.Bush.

They don't pay. Be careful. I own my own P&C agency and took AFLAC on as a side sell. After a months of putting them in front of of my clients many of whom bought the product. One of which was a business with several hundred employees they told me my appointment application was filled out incorrectly. As a result the accounts were assigned to the district manager who got the commissions. Guess what the district manager was the person that filled out the application. He has since been promoted.

Once or twice a year a new district manager and representative come in and ask why we don't sell more of their product. I tell them and say when I get paid for what I did sell maybe then I will think about it. I then throw them out.

Thanks for your advice, all! I still plan to hold on to my other business which is generating some income (and we do good work, too) for a while. If you ever need web development or internet marketing, visit rescottmarketing.com.

By the way drcoastline, did you sign on as a broker or agent with AFLAC?

Also, perhaps this has already been answered in prior posts, but for those who sell Life, Health, Accident, and P&C products, do you spend your marketing time to sell primarily to businesses, or individuals?

When you start your sales approach to either businesses or individuals, what product line (if any) do you "lead in" with?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Back