Selling Cancer Insurance

It is called doing what is right in your own mind.. The way you address others who might dare question you shows you to one who is a legend unto himself.

Just trying to help....and telling someone that selling an inappropriate product is A-OK...ain't helping.

Seniors are the fastest growing group in America...and they need advice....not a sales pitch.

Times are tough....and about to get much tougher.

Knowledge is key....and coddling folks won't help anybody.

Y'all want to peddle inappropriate products....then go for it.
As for myself...I will never "push a product"

Do what is best for the customer....and that means be well trained in multiple areas.

Hope some here learned something of value

Got to go...

I will have to side with rousemark on that one.

I am assuming that if you (holyroller) have a client that asks you about cancer insurance, you would have a more constructive dialogue, as opposed to just telling them you think it is a rip off. While you may not agree with the policy, that does not mean the client does not have the right to explore the coverage to satisfy their own needs. That, in my humble opinion, is doing what is right.

The challenge with a blanket statement is that the person making the statement has just classified every potential client in the same box. I have yet to see a situation where this is usually works.

What a silly comment.

People don't buy life insurance because they fear death...they buy it to protect those still alive.
Because they fear dying and not being able to provide for those left behind.
People don't buy auto insurance because they fear having an accident....they fear losing their car and being sued. Duh! The result of an accident so they fear having an accident and anyone selling auto insurance is playing on that fear. But you think that's wrong.

People buy insurance for protection against risk...and single issue health insurance is a bad choice...it is too LIMITED. Only thing around here that is limited is your mental capacity. lol
....hope those who buy Cancer Insurance never have a stroke...huh

What an ***.
You twist things in your mind to feed that huge ego and know all mentality.

Holyroller - you are also assuming that every agent who has ever sold a cancer policy has had to push or trick the client into buying the policy. I highly doubt that is the case.

HUH?

What does the 70 yr old need the life insurance for?

btw...where did I say Term was the way to go for a retired individual???...

Read kiddo...Read

:goofy:

First off, kiddo, you're in the Senior Insurance Forum.

Secondly, YOU are the one that mentioned Final Expense. Who do you think buys most of the FE? It's seniors, and not usually those that are still in the retirement planning stages.

You started making blanket statements. I now realize that you aren't really in the senior market, at least as a whole. Otherwise you wouldn't be making some of the statements you are making, like, "What does the 70 yr old need the life insurance for?". That statement right there shows how little you know of the senior market as a whole.

Now, I realize you might be working with a little more affluent senior clientele, but that is certainly not the majority of the senior market.

It seems you're market is more focused on the pre-planning/ pre-retirement market and, some with the seniors that did pre-plan (at least some). That's a whole different story than the ones who didn't plan or just planned poorly.

Just trying to help....and telling someone that selling an inappropriate product is A-OK...ain't helping.

Seniors are the fastest growing group in America...and they need advice....not a sales pitch.

Times are tough....and about to get much tougher.

Knowledge is key....and coddling folks won't help anybody.

Y'all want to peddle inappropriate products....then go for it.
As for myself...I will never "push a product"

Do what is best for the customer....and that means be well trained in multiple areas.

Hope some here learned something of value

Got to go...

That is just the point.. It is that cancer insurance is "inappropriate" in your mind... But that does not make it so. I have owned the product an still own it on my wife. so I am not trying to sell someone something just to make the commission.. I believe in it.. I have had more people thank me with tears in their eyes for selling them a cancer plan that I ever had for selling a life, major medical, or LTC plan. You have no idea of the emotional value the plan is to those who own it and are experiencing cancer. And, even if a person never uses it, if it gives them peace of mind, even if you think it unjustified, then how do you place a value on that?

You say you have been in the business since 85.. Well, I have a decade and a half on you but I would have thought that even in the short time you have been in the business that you would have learned most people buy insurance to satisfy an emotional need as much as they do to satisfy a financial need. But, then to learn that, you have to be truly interested in people and not totally wrapped up in yourself.

Can't say as you have presented anything of value for us to learn.

Last edited:
Holy Roller is still confusing cancer insurance with major medical. He simply doesn't understand the purpose of it and justifies it by using Clark Howard as a credible source.

If the world wasn't full of agents like him, it would be tougher for the rest of us to find those undeserved clients and help them get the protection they are looking for and benefit from rather than try to twist them to the agents agenda.

If Holy Roller has any clients they are DEFINITELY buying critical illness/ and or cancer plans...they just aren't buying them from him.

I always was taught to sell the client what they want even if you do not think it is the best choice. The senior market that most in this forum work is not affluent. They cannot afford LTCI or DI or Critical Care or even a large face value life insurance. However, many can afford some cancer coverage and they WANT it. My experience is that cancer is an easier sell then life.

I sold a cancer plan to a woman in 2011...didnt "push the product"...10 months later she was diagnosed with cancer. You can argue the policy wasnt appropriate for her, but you would be wrong. I'm sure the client would agree it was the best thing for her.

I've had the same experience as rouse with more people thanking me with tears in their eyes for selling them a cancer plan than any other product...and I sell a ton of DI. I've also had a few with tears in their eyes that DIDNT take the cancer plan and wish they had.

HolyRoller, you might want to, at the very least, rethink your blanket statements and assumptions...but you sound like a stubborn dude..so good luck with that.

I am one of the agents that believed cancer insurance was a waste of money.....Then a bunch of people close to me were diagnosed..Some on my families side and some on my wifes. Like Rouse has mentioned the nonmedical costs are what people don't think about. Should more of my clients own DI a resounding YES for my working age clients I would recommend a DI policy long before the cancer policy (which I have yet to sell as the plans I see value in my state has yet to approve) but if I have a client asking about a certain coverage because they see the need you can bet I would be selling it.

Back