Selling Group Health In This Market

ABC

Guru
1000 Post Club
This is a tough time to sell group health.

Basically, buy this plan now and next year we will have new options on the table.

Seasoned owners are in a holding pattern.

Thoughts?

Very true, but the amount of group health agents who don't even know what is coming or have any ability to speak to their clients about this is astounding.

We have been heavily promoting our "Health Care Reform Compliance Check-up" and have won some very nice BOR's by making them aware of just how unaware they really were.

Very true, but the amount of group health agents who don't even know what is coming or have any ability to speak to their clients about this is astounding.

We have been heavily promoting our "Health Care Reform Compliance Check-up" and have won some very nice BOR's by making them aware of just how unaware they really were.

Can you share your compliance checklist with the rest of us?

This is a time when agents who've been selling on price and spreadsheets are at a disadvantage. This is when you must position yourself as an expert, and understand how to sell services instead of product.

It's a WAG, but I would venture to say that 75% of brokers aren't prepared for how to sell in this market. Now is the ideal time to be out there knocking on doors and having conversations.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Can you share your compliance checklist with the rest of us?

Yes, please. I have an idea of what's on it, but would love to see what's been working well.

If it matters, I'm in IL and don't think we share much of a competitive market. Email or via PM is fine as well.

Last edited:
I am interested to see the check list also.

I just found out yesterday that 50-99 is still going to be medical underwritten until 2016.

Each State can decide if the definition of small group.

I am on the road today, I can dig up what we use when I got to the office. I can't post it, but I can email a copy to anyone who pm's me with their email address.

We use a toolkit as well as a checklist and a calculator...

This is a tough time to sell group health.

Basically, buy this plan now and next year we will have new options on the table.

Seasoned owners are in a holding pattern.

Thoughts?

I can't think of a better time to sell Group business or to be in the Group market. Employers entire way of doing business is changing and their costs are skyrocketing. I haven't seen any increases less than 60% here in NJ. Employers need answers and the majority of the broker market are either uneducated on the laws and market changes or unwilling to change. This is a time when broker relationships change, relationships with family members as their brokers change etc... If you can think outside the box and become committed to learning everything there is to know, you can become very successful right now! This is a GREAT time to be in the business!

I can't think of a better time to sell Group business or to be in the Group market. Employers entire way of doing business is changing and their costs are skyrocketing. I haven't seen any increases less than 60% here in NJ. Employers need answers and the majority of the broker market are either uneducated on the laws and market changes or unwilling to change. This is a time when broker relationships change, relationships with family members as their brokers change etc... If you can think outside the box and become committed to learning everything there is to know, you can become very successful right now! This is a GREAT time to be in the business!

Maybe and the maybe not. It just depends what emerges when the smoke clears.

Right now I am writing group and I am not even trying. This has to do with the pre ACA underwritten rates.

I don't know if you guys are in denial about the future of the small group health business but it's DOA in 2014.

Why would an owner pay a portion of the employees premium when the Fed. Gov. will pay it? That is the question that small group owners have to answer.

Back