SEOmoz: New 2011 Search Engine Rankings Factors Survey is Out

Random thoughts:

The ratio of advertising/content was mentioned which I have always felt should be a factor (although not a big factor this year).

"Page Level Link Metrics.." OK...I think I know what they mean but maybe someone can elaborate.

The study is still in inconclusive on the affect of link volume. Yes, most high ranking sites have a load of links, but the number of links was not necessarily the reason they were ranked high!

matt cutts talking about how facebook shares got so much love from the correlation data:
"This is a good example of why correlation doesn’t equal causality because Google doesn’t get Facebook shares. We’re blocked by that data. We can see fan pages, but we can’t see Facebook shares."

I'm not sure if I'm buying that. I understand that correlation doesn't equal causation (stats 101). and it's possible that google could be blocked by that data, given the ongoing tiff both companies have against each other. It's harder for me to believe the correlation data is pure coincedence, given the strong data to support the correlation.

Good info, but now my head hurts. Trying to piece the SEO puzzle together is frustrating. So many different aspects, and seems like they keep changing the game, but just have to keep learning and build quality content and backlinks.

Just my opinion. If you're a small player you can follow the rules or a bit of gray hat and you're fine.

However, if you want to rank for a term that will make you millions then you're going to spend countless thousands on SEO and from what I've read lately, employ every tactic Google says not to use. I'll probably get some disagreement from people who claim to be page 1 and doing well. But I said millions and I'll put it out there and no one on this board is making millions a year off their website.

Remember, there are only 5 first spots. After that all research shows that 6 and down doesn't get much. And actually it's the top 3 results.

So let me pose this question? Take 20 companies who use the foremost SEO experts in the world. Each of them in given 10 million SEO budgets. Only 3 will win. So what I'm getting that is you can do everything right....and everything wrong (black hat) and still never make it.

matt cutts talking about how facebook shares got so much love from the correlation data:
"This is a good example of why correlation doesn’t equal causality because Google doesn’t get Facebook shares.

really......google diabetic life insurance texas

This is a great study and tells you a lot about the underlying strategies of SEO, though you still need the tactics to put it all in place. It's worth clicking through the presentation to get an overview:

Ranking Factors Data 2011: SMX Elite Sydney@@AMEPARAM@@http://static.slidesharecdn.com/swf/ssplayer2.swf?doc=ranking-factors-sydney-2011-110415090031-phpapp02@@AMEPARAM@@ranking-factors-sydney-2011-110415090031-phpapp02

Many of the findings don't really require you to change anything, but are just good to know. The shift from page authority to domain authority, for example. Others require you to do some things that aren't directly tied to your site, like the brand-related signals (see my video on how search engines are going beyond your web page for more on that).

Aaron

stibroker,
you're absolutely right.

like I have been saying is that I think Google is taking a hard look at what is posted on business pages and bringing them to the top.....we will see how it goes and does not hurt to try......

Back