Settlers claims record

But I agree with you David, now that you point it out. Percentage of contestable claims paid would be more impressive to me. But you've got to admit, the 99+% number on a sales presentation slide would impress the average FE prospect.

That is why they said it.

The numbers aren't a lie, nor it is funny math. People are simply reading more into the statement that is actually said. Something that is standard in good marketing.

Its like trying to find the "got sha" clauses in an AARP policy. You know they are there, but sometimes they are hard to find.

It's a meaningless number.

Remember what Lincoln Heritage agents will claim:

"We pay death claims in 24 hours!"

Bet that sounds good to prospects, too. Too bad it's horseshit.

But I agree with you David, now that you point it out. Percentage of contestable claims paid would be more impressive to me. But you've got to admit, the 99+% number on a sales presentation slide would impress the average FE prospect.

Am I reading too much into Lincoln's 24-hour death claim payout marketing claim?

I'm sure it's great for marketing.

That is why they said it.

The numbers aren't a lie, nor it is funny math. People are simply reading more into the statement that is actually said. Something that is standard in good marketing.

It's a meaningless number.

Remember what Lincoln Heritage agents will claim:

"We pay death claims in 24 hours!"

Bet that sounds good to prospects, too. Too bad it's horseshit.

Every company should be able to say that unless it is new or claims is chronically understaffed.

"We pay most claims within 24 hours!" *

*Within 24 hours of receiving a complete death claim including death certificate. This includes all claims, whether within the contestable period or not.

After all, most claims are going to not be contestable and how long does it take to generate a check?

Every company should be able to say that unless it is new or claims is chronically understaffed.

"We pay most claims within 24 hours!" *

*Within 24 hours of receiving a complete death claim including death certificate. This includes all claims, whether within the contestable period or not.

After all, most claims are going to not be contestable and how long does it take to generate a check?
I know LH means it that way, but if it's not explained that way by the agent, people think they're getting the claim paid 24 hours after it gets reported to the company.

My first FE gig was with Life of Boston before they became Lincoln Heritage. They were using that language then, too. Fortunately, I had been in the business a couple of years already, so I knew it was marketing "fluff". So when I came to that line, I always explained "that means 24 hours after receipt of the death certificate" etc.

I only remember ever having one claim that I personally handled with them in my brief tenure. I will say it was lightning fast. They didn't wait for the death certificate. They accepted a fax of a clipping from the newspaper (I don't remember if it was an obit or an accident report), and they sho nuff paid the next day!

I had my issues with that company, but paying claims wasn't one of them.

My point is that context matters in which a marketing claim is made.
I agree. Even if it's a legitimate claim, I'm for clarity in communication.

It's the reason I asked in the beginning whether anybody knew the records of any other companies. I have a feeling it's like when a coffee company used to tout that their coffee was "mountain grown, that's the richest kind." Then I found out that virtually all coffee sold in the US in those days was "mountain grown". I have a suspicion that most of the FE companies would show similar numbers.

Last edited:
I agree. Even if it's a legitimate claim, I'm for clarity in communication.

It's the reason I asked in the beginning whether anybody knew the records of any other companies. I have a feeling it's like when a coffee company used to tout that their coffee was "mountain grown, that's the richest kind." Then I found out that virtually all coffee sold in the US in those days was "mountain grown". I have a suspicion that most of the FE companies would show similar numbers.

And so they should. That's the reason people get it... so that it works. No magic fairy dust that a company should pay its claims.

Just was wondering, was Juan Valdez picking your coffee beans for you? I like his the best. Too bad he broke his neck when he fell off the mountain. Maybe he works in the claims department for Settlers now?? :spinny:

Back