Shingles Vaccine

Bumping. Yes, I know this thread is six years old.

The new (and supposedly more effective) shingles vaccine, Shingrix is out of stock around a lot of the country. My parents are waiting for theirs to come in and it's a Tier 4 on their PDP.

GoodRx.com shows you can get two vials for the cash price of $172.50. I'm assuming you need two vials per person as it's given in two doses? Has anyone had clients purchase it cash instead of running it through their Part D, and also it mentions there may be an administrative fee at the pharmacy.

I didn't want to start up with the recent thread about the VA and the costs, but my Dad is a veteran who uses a local clinic (he's not on TRICARE). He gets some generic drugs there but also has plan G and a PDP. Would they cover Shingrix maybe with a small co-pay?

The new (and supposedly more effective) shingles vaccine, Shingrix is out of stock around a lot of the country. My parents are waiting for theirs to come in and it's a Tier 4 on their PDP.

GoodRx.com shows you can get two vials for the cash price of $172.50. I'm assuming you need two vials per person as it's given in two doses? Has anyone had clients purchase it cash instead of running it through their Part D, and also it mentions there may be an administrative fee at the pharmacy.

I didn't want to start up with the recent thread about the VA and the costs, but my Dad is a veteran who uses a local clinic (he's not on TRICARE). He gets some generic drugs there but also has plan G and a PDP. Would they cover Shingrix maybe with a small co-pay?

They should cover the Shingrix for him, but it may very well depend on his assigned group. Since it is administered by the doctor/nurse there at the clinic and not the pharmacy, I'm thinking it is given for free much like the flu shot is.

They have stopped using Zoster and started using Shingrix instead since it will work with more people than Zoster alone.

I rec'd a Zostavax shot several year ago. My doctor tells me that shot was worn off completely.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 8

Something you could check out for your mom:

I see AARP offers a drug discount plan through OptumRX.

Back