Short Term Medical Advertised on Ehealth.com

hello

I'm shopping for short term medical coverage in california.

I used ehealth.com to shop and it produced quotes for two companies:
1) HCC medical insurance
2) IHC group

HCC medical is by far the cheapest.

However....searching the web about these companies reveals lots of forums with complaints from previous customers claiming these are scam companies. I've yet to see a single positive comment about either of these companies. Complaints include: inability to get anyone on phone about claim status, never ending claim limbo with no explanation, and when the companies request past health records to evaluate a claim, the companies always claim they never received documents, even when documents are sent certified mail. I get the impression that these companies have never paid out on a single claim, although I assume that can't be correct.

Questions:
1) Can anyone point me to positive commentary about either of these companies' short term medical plans

2) I don't care about or anticipate needing coverage for routine stuff. I'm only worried about being covered in a hypothetical extreme emergency like a car accident where I was at fault so no auto insurance coverage -- a real nightmare car accident or similar strange accident (struck by person on a bike while walking -- I live on a college campus)where emergency medical services could run > $100k. I know that's very unlikely over the 3 months i need the short term coverage, but that's the reassurance I want to have through on of these plans, so I could sleep easy at night. In the kind of nightmare emergency accident I described above, there should be no question about pre-existing conditions. Does anyone know if either of these companies have any history of providing coverage in a situation like the one I described, or are there more scam stories out there.

3) If these companies aren't good, where else can I find a short term medical policy other than using ehealth. Should I just call up California Health insurance providers directly. It seems like noboby really advertises there short term plans very well, at least on the web.

Thanks!

Most all of those people complaining that their claims aren't getting paid, do in fact have pre existing conditions.
Short Term Plans do no cover pre existing conditions.
The good news?
Starting Nov 1st, you can enroll in a real health insurance policy that Will cover pre existing conditions.

Back