Should I Go Out on my Own or Stay?

Simple, through intermediaries such as Farmers owned GA.

Do you mean how I get prospects to quote?

If so it's quite simple. It's called the Internet. Are you social media, pay-per-click advertising, reach out to other farmers agents who are in the major entertainment motion picture cities and ask them refer that business to me, since the farmers oh and operated GA doesn't offer entertainment in film insurance, contact film commissions and a major production companies and rental houses in each state that is listed in the film guides, in the list can go on and on and on!

----------

Sorry for grammar and spelling mistakes I currently cannot type since I'm on the road and speaking into my phone so that it can translate and text it for me so I apologize I will try to fix his mistakes as soon as I can get to a computer..

----------

Not to mention reaching out to my universities alumni and networking with other alumni that graduated from my university and trying to solicit insurance or get referrals that way the same could be said for high school alumni.

Reaching out to churches and other religious organizations with media ministries and helping them or advising them of their insurance needs when it comes to media insurance plus I try to call cell only other types of insurance to the church might need a hand at the same time asking for referrals from the church concerning it's members.

----------

I mean cross sell the churches other insurance needs after being introduced to them for media insurance.

I admit that it's a hard sell to cross sell the church and have them refer its members.

I was told to stay as far away from Farmers contract as possible that came from Department of Insurance. They said people who are leaving are being put in horrible situations and the state here is getting ready to stop brokerage because independent's are complaining so much about what's being done underneath table.

To me, it's foreign. I have my local real estate / mortgage market on COMPLETE lock down. I'll do $800,000 of new personal lines premium this year & it's just me writing business w/ part time help (and our average premium per policy is $800.)

Hey if you can retain like I do w/ people all across the country...well I guess I'd write the business to. To me, I couldn't even imagine it. And as you may know, that's entirely against Farmer's mantra of 'local agent' blah blah blah.

I guess we all grow books in our own ways.

My stance is build a book off referral based business in your local market. It pisses me off to suggest to people that "oh ya just write business in all 50 states blah blah." It's just not realistic IMO. But, maybe my way isn't the only way & if you're out writing me in all these states, then I guess I'm the chump.

How do you even have expertise in all the state's different coverage's, building constructions & coverage's necessary in local markets etc?

It seems like a lot of wasted time doing all that crap when you could build lifelong relationships w/ 20-25 mortgage originators, financial advisors or realtors & have more business coming in each day then you can handle. Facebook this pay per click that blah blah blah what type of business are you really writing here?

The true top tier prospects (good credit, upper class, multiple cars, married, homeowner's...) want to trust their professional's, want a local agent they know is well respected & don't want to screw around w/ their insurance every year and sure as hell aren't clicking ads or facebook links to get insurance.

He doesn't have to keep up with it. Met ga actually pays you more if you just refer them the client and let them sell and service. Crazy, i know.
If he gets the volume, it's not a bad gig I guess. He is just a little too excited about farmers. I guess since he bought an existing agency he didnt get turned and burned the way most of their career guys do.

My renewals at liberty were 1.4, at Met they are 7, I am getting ready to go independent and hoping for 12-15. You have to start somewhere and just keep improving.

So it is not uncommon for an agency to give book ownership or a portion of book ownership that the agent has acquired to the agent? How does this typically work?

That is part of my concern to not go out on my own, If after manyl more years I have a multi-million dollar book and something happens to owner, or he gets divorced and agency gets sold, I could be out on the street since I have no book ownership Just trying to protect myself.

Back