Should I use insurance to cover the damage to my vehicle

I don't know what your deductible is but you have already filed the claim. You most probably have crossed the threshold for a rate increase based on the damage to the other vehicle. Why are you reluctant to get your own vehicle fixed? If your deductible is not high, take the cash for the estimate and see if you can get someone to do the repair on the side. This option affects your ability for a supplement if anything was missed. If the deductible is high you can take the money and apply it when the premium is increased.
I'm not reluctant to fix my car. I just don't want to further increase my insurance rate by taking a larger claim to the extent that it is more expensive than just paying out of pocket. There would be no hesitation on my part to take the insurance money if the estimate wasn't so close to my deductible.

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but was just reading a related blog post which had some information that relates to this. Maybe there is something here for you: Clearsurance

Depends on the state - in NC there is a higher surcharge depending on different levels of payout. I'd check with your agent to be sure. Even the Montana insurance department could be a resource.
The Montana insurance department fully answered my question. Thanks for the suggestion. They said:

"If your insurer has already paid for the damage to the vehicle you collided with, there will be no additional detriment caused by the claim under your collision coverage to repair the damage to your own vehicle. It will all be considered one collision event.

If they have not paid for the damage to the vehicle you collided with , and you wish to pay both the damage to that vehicle and the damage to your own vehicle out of your own pocket you may be able to avoid a “surcharge” or increase in premium due to the collision, if there were no citations issued. If the police responded, and you were issued a citation, then it should have no further impact to go ahead and have the insurance carrier repair the damages. Again, it should all be considered on collision event and the insurance company could only charge for the highest rated portion of that event ….They can charge for the citation, or they can charge for the accident but generally not both and it is considered one event."

Back