Should vehicle service contract be considered in total loss settlement?

Matthew Davis

I recently totaled my 2011 Honda Pilot by way of a flat tire! The tread tore up the panels around the wheel well and triggered the side curtain airbag. They are calling it a total loss. Luckily I have comprehensive insurance!

My question is this. Should the insurance company take into account my $3010.00 vehicle service contract and my $895.00 GAP insurance when calculating the settlement?

It seems to me that in order for me to be fully restored to my previous condition, these things should not be ignored.

Just looking for a little input from anyone who might be more knowledgeable in this area than I am.

Thank in advance!

Should the insurance company take into account my $3010.00 vehicle service contract and my $895.00 GAP insurance when calculating the settlement?

No. Neither. Just like you won't get your regular car insurance premiums into the total loss calculations.

Read your service contract. You might be able to cancel it and get a partial refund.

Read your insurance policy. It likely covers only DIRECT damage except for an indirect loss of use for alternative transportation expenses while your vehicle is unavailable. What you describe are consequential, not direct, damages.

Back