Silverscript Choice Non-Commissionable 2025

SS Choice became a garbage plan anyway. Good riddance.
Yeah. When I first signed up for Part D in 2017, Silverscript Choice was one of the most popular plans. Maybe the #1 plan. In my state, it had a $29 premium (quite reasonable that year) with $0 deductible across all tiers. To best of my knowledge, that was unique at the time (and that combination still is). Very attractive.

But: Silverscript was guilty of up-tiering. I didn't enroll in it - I had several typically tier 1 drugs moved by them into tier 2, and tier 2 drugs were moved to tier 3.

Moreover, their Tier 2 co-pay in 2017 was a very hefty $19. (At any in-network pharmacy - CVS wasn't doing preferred vs. standard pharmacy pricing yet.)

So, up-tier into tier 2 and then wallop with a high copay.

The plan was amazing on paper for people who took no drugs AT ALL. And then there were people who didn't check details and were just enticed by the low premium and low deductible.

Wasn't Silverscript one of the very first players in Part D from the beginning? So there was inertia.

(Even with the high co-pays and high tiering, that's not to say the actual costs had to be terrible. $19 copay was the max exposure on Tier 2, not necessarily the out of pocket. But - they reserved the right to charge $19.)

And the Silverscript plans have all gotten more expensive, every single year, since then.

So from my perspective as a shopping beneficiary, it was never a great choice for anyone with prescriptions.

I agree with Russ: now a garbage plan.

Yeah. When I first signed up for Part D in 2017, Silverscript Choice was one of the most popular plans. Maybe the #1 plan. In my state, it had a $29 premium (quite reasonable that year) with $0 deductible across all tiers. To best of my knowledge, that was unique at the time (and that combination still is). Very attractive.

But: Silverscript was guilty of up-tiering. I didn't enroll in it - I had several typically tier 1 drugs moved by them into tier 2, and tier 2 drugs were moved to tier 3.

Moreover, their Tier 2 co-pay in 2017 was a very hefty $19. (At any in-network pharmacy - CVS wasn't doing preferred vs. standard pharmacy pricing yet.)

So, up-tier into tier 2 and then wallop with a high copay.

The plan was amazing on paper for people who took no drugs AT ALL. And then there were people who didn't check details and were just enticed by the low premium and low deductible.

Wasn't Silverscript one of the very first players in Part D from the beginning? So there was inertia.

(Even with the high co-pays and high tiering, that's not to say the actual costs had to be terrible. $19 copay was the max exposure on Tier 2, not necessarily the out of pocket. But - they reserved the right to charge $19.)

And the Silverscript plans have all gotten more expensive, every single year, since then.

So from my perspective as a shopping beneficiary, it was never a great choice for anyone with prescriptions.

I agree with Russ: now a garbage plan.

They all do that

I remember when Humana was the number one plan before that Coventry had the number one plan

the change from number 1 to horrible happens in 0ne plan change year

Back