Small Group (3 Ee and Under)

Seriously maybe 1 in 25 small groups will actually sign over an agent of record to me. Maybe its my approach, maybe they are all happy? I have just been stroked one too many times. I now know better. Nobody is leaving their current broker unless they tell you upfront they are and they want a new direction and new input. Otherwise, just move on. Its like life insurance....Really only one in 10 people who tell me they want to buy it actually do.

The smaller the group, the more creative you need to become in creating the health insurance package. I would include voluntary benefits; life, DI, dental. Would also suggest flexible spending accounts and EAP. That may multiply your revenue 10times. And if not, you show your client that you are aware of the options in the market, so that when the next broker comes around to inform them of these programs, it/s an old song, not a new idea.

The smaller the group, the more creative you need to become in creating the health insurance package. I would include voluntary benefits; life, DI, dental. Would also suggest flexible spending accounts and EAP. That may multiply your revenue 10times. And if not, you show your client that you are aware of the options in the market, so that when the next broker comes around to inform them of these programs, it/s an old song, not a new idea.

EAP? Not familiar with that acroynm.

EAP? Not familiar with that acroynm.

Employee Assistance Program.
Its like a personal consular for life changing event.

Your national carriers will have these programs that come along with the plan. Small regional carriers don't usually have these kinds of services.

If you are out trying to get AOR on small group the best approach is to know the carriers they are with inside and out. Then advise the owner of these programs that the current broker is not. Then educate the employees on the programs.

I picked up about 60 lives this year with this approach.
Some of those cases the incumbent agent had the business for over 10 years.

Employee Assistance Program.
Its like a personal consular for life changing event.

Your national carriers will have these programs that come along with the plan. Small regional carriers don't usually have these kinds of services.

If you are out trying to get AOR on small group the best approach is to know the carriers they are with inside and out. Then advise the owner of these programs that the current broker is not. Then educate the employees on the programs.

I picked up about 60 lives this year with this approach.
Some of those cases the incumbent agent had the business for over 10 years.

Thanks for the information and good point. I don't think any of my carriers offer EAP (all regional carriers in this area), but I'll have to double check.

Back