Small Group As Few As One

billyg

Guru
100+ Post Club
Some states allow for group health with as few as one in the group. I know Rhode Island is one of them, and so is Colorado. Does anyone know of other states where this is true?:1mad:

It is allowed in PA, but it is going the way of the dinosaur, pay phone, typewriter, etc. IBC is going to stop writing it through associations.

Last edited:
Allowed in CA but fully underwritten.

Rick

Actually, in California, you can do a two person group with one excluded to get you a 1 person group. Basically, if you have 2, but one has group coverage through a spouse and can be waived, some carriers say they will issue this.

Now, I've never had one issued, but that is because the company isn't really 2 people. I save myself a lot of paperwork and don't bother to submit it if they can't show both people are actually in the business.

Dan

Actually, in California, you can do a two person group with one excluded to get you a 1 person group. Basically, if you have 2, but one has group coverage through a spouse and can be waived, some carriers say they will issue this.

Now, I've never had one issued, but that is because the company isn't really 2 people. I save myself a lot of paperwork and don't bother to submit it if they can't show both people are actually in the business.

Dan

I've done this a bunch of times but still considered a 2 person group because there are two employees. Only 1 person is insured however.

I commonly do this when I have one person on Medicare and the other is not. Easy to do and companies never give me a hard time.

But if there is really only 1 employee, it does get underwritten.

Rick

I've done this a bunch of times but still considered a 2 person group because there are two employees. Only 1 person is insured however.

I commonly do this when I have one person on Medicare and the other is not. Easy to do and companies never give me a hard time.

But if there is really only 1 employee, it does get underwritten.

Rick

One exception, Western Health Advantage. They will do sole props at one employee so long as the sole prop is earning at least $40,000 per year. Small, regional HMO in Sacto area.

If the sole prop/ owner does not have any ee's, most carriers are going to decline. In California, neither Anthem Blue Cross, or, Blue Shield of Califoria will even underwrite a group of 1. As Dave mentioned above, I guess Western Health will underwrite.

Now, If the sole prop/owner has an employee, and, that employee has other group, or, Medicare, you qualify for GI. The owner enrolls and the ee waives off. The ee has a valid waiver.

Actually WHA is GI on the one in a sole prop. To each their own with carriers, LOL. Of course they only cover a very small area near Sacramento.

Valid waivers for the second employee/partner/officer in CA include the following:

-Medicaid
-Medicare
-Other group coverage
-Tricare
-VA care

Back